Basic info how Time Machine works

Reaction score
I'm new to MacBook Pro and have never used Time Machine. When I click on the Time Machine icon in dock, I get lovely graphics, but I need instruction.

When I set it to backup, it looks like it would take 5 days to backup at least for the first time. I need info on whether there are settings I can use to limit it to just copy necessities and/or to copy files only to update.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I'm new to MacBook Pro and have never used Time Machine. When I click on the Time Machine icon in dock, I get lovely graphics, but I need instruction.

When I set it to backup, it looks like it would take 5 days to backup at least for the first time. I need info on whether there are settings I can use to limit it to just copy necessities and/or to copy files only to update.

Thanks!
Click on "Options" in Time Machine Preferences.
This is where you can add any drive or folders that you do NOT want TM to backup.
I know it seems backwards and counter-intuitive, but it does work and will keep the amount of data backed up under control.
example: I only have TM backing up my user folder, minus ~/library/caches and logs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.