MAC OS Printing Protocols

Reaction score
Hello,

Could someone please tell me the differnece between LPD/LPR, IPP, Socket and JetDirect when adding a network printer on a MAC? What protocol would you use when simply connecting an IP printer that is connected to a Bridge/AP with a Wireless router? Many thanks in advance...

Max

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,

Could someone please tell me the differnece between LPD/LPR, IPP, Socket and JetDirect when adding a network printer on a MAC? What protocol would you use when simply connecting an IP printer that is connected to a Bridge/AP with a Wireless router? Many thanks in advance...

Max

It depends on which network printing protocol the Print Server supports (not sure what you mean by "Bridge/AP", print servers are print servers, regardless of whether they're wired or wireless). IPP is a newer standard, LPD/LPR is an older UNIX-centric protocol, and JetDirect (compatible with LPD/LPR) is an HP brand name.

Most cheap print servers support IPP or LPR at a minimum, check the docs for the preferred protocol. Unfortunately, Mac OS X doesn't handle port redirection at all, so you're reliant on the print driver to be "network aware", most commercial drivers are not.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hello cwa107,

Thanks very much for your reply. We are not running a print server, at least not for the particular printer which I am trying to connect the OSX PC's to. It is simply a printer which is connected to an AP via Ethernet cable that gets issued an IP address like a client and the workstations and laptops connect to this for printing. When connecting a PC with Windows, I simply select Standard TCP/IP port, install the driver and off you go but on the MAC just not sure which one to use. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated.

Regards,
Max

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basically your AP has a print server built-in, but this is really just semantics. In essence, any device that interfaces a local connection to a network connection acts as a print server. I say "banana", you say "banahna", not big deal.

By default a "Standard TCP/IP port" in Windows uses LPR (if you go into properties on the port, you can see this).

First, connect the printer via USB and make sure it works. If not, the driver may need to be installed first before you attempt a network connection.

Once you've done this, try connecting with the LPD and use the IP address of the print server. First try without a queue name. If it doesn't work, try using "lp" (lower case L) as the queue name.

Once you make a network connection, that's only half the battle. You'll need to choose a driver. If the driver doesn't show, we might need to use a generic driver. What make/model of printer is it?

OP
M
Reaction score
cwa107,

You are awesome. That is exactly what I needed to know. The printer has been tested and works with the Windows PC's. It is a HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL 6. Thanks very much for you time!

Regards,
Max

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107,

You are awesome. That is exactly what I needed to know. The printer has been tested and works with the Windows PC's. It is a HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL 6. Thanks very much for you time!

Regards,
Max

Oh, that printer is very familiar to me, I have dozens at work. Excellent printer.

The driver should not be a problem at all - you won't even need to connect it locally first. Those things work with just about any HP PCL driver ever made.

Never mind what I said about the print server. That thing probably has a JetDirect card built into it (that is what acts as the print server) and then you've got an Ethernet cable going straight to your AP.

OP
M
Reaction score
Excellent, again, thank you very much cwa107, I will give that a try. Really appreciate you help.

Regards,
Max

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.