Mini display to HDMI to TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15" 2.66
I have a MacBook Pro from this summer (after the most recent "redesign") with the mini display port on it. I am connecting it to my HDTV.

I had temporarily borrowed a mini display to DVI adapter and plugged it into a DVI to HDMI cable, which went to the TV. Worked just fine.

I bought from Monoprice a mini display to HDMI adapter and used an existing (working) HDMI cable to connect to the TV. Won't work.

The laptop acts like it is connecting (screen flashes) and so does the TV (screen goes blank) but a few seconds later, the TV provides a message that there is no detectable device connected. I've tried it on 2 different TVs, both Sony HD sets, one a rear projection from 2007 and then another brand new LCD Sony TV.

Any idea what the problem may be?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I assume you opened the Displays preference and clicked on 'Detect Displays'?

If you have an Arrangement tab there, put a check in the 'Mirror Displays' box for now. This will give you the 'Displays' window for both monitors. Adjust the resolution and refresh rate for the HDTV as necessary.

If none of this is working, you plug the previous adapter/cable back in and it works, I'd suggest you've got a bad adapter.

Of course make sure the TV is changed to the correct input.

OP
iClickPhoto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15" 2.66
I've done the mirror displays and left that off (I want it off as I'll be displaying a different screen on the TV than shows on my monitor). No difference.

I also don't get any of the HDTV resolutions in the display properties on my Mac, they showed up before with the previous connection.

I e-chatted with Monoprice tonight and they too felt I have a defective product. Getting a new one.

If anyone has other advice, please pass it on!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Whether you ultimately want to use mirroring or extended display,

You need to turn on mirroring while you're troubleshooting.

You need access to the display preference window for the external monitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.