Jumpy video playback on YouTube but not apple's site?

Reaction score
I have a 20" iMac, 2.1 GHz PowerPC G5 with 2.5GB Ram with the ATI Radeon X600XT graphics card (128mb).

I cannot watch HQ YouTube videos, let alone HD videos, despite a very fast broadband line, even if I pause it at the start and let it load the movie in it's entirety, I still experience jumpy video playback.

OK so my graphics card isn't a monster, but I watched the new iMac movie on Apple's site no problem and at the largest size. I can also play HD video in Quicktime and everything behaves perfectly.

It is also the same in Safari as well as FireFox.

Can anyone explain why I'm having trouble?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My guess is that it has to do with Flash. YouTube uses Flash but the iMac video is QT which doesn't use anywhere near the same amount of resources. Do you experience choppy playback with any other Flash videos?

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm not too sure to be honest, I don't use anything but YouTube normally. So what resource does flash movies drain, the graphics card?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.