Streaming WMV

Reaction score
Hi so I just got a new macbook pro the other day and am having some trouble. My school has streaming lectures I need to access but they are in wmv format. I have downloaded both flip4mac and vlc but neither seem to work. Quicktime will either tell me that it cannot open urls that begin with "mms" or give me "osstatus error-19160". VLC media player gives me an error message saying your input can't be opened. The url begins with mms and ends with a .wmv. I don't want to have to use windows through bootcamp to stream the lectures if I can help it. To access the website and each individual video I need to enter in my username and password on the website and then into windows media player on a pc, I'm not sure if this makes any difference. I'm running snow leopard 10.6.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Syed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Try the Mac version of Windows Media Player, if you can find it. Works for me. Same OS (10.6.1) but my computer's more than a year older. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I actually tried downloading that off apples website but some reason it doesn't work. The downloaded file when I open it is just a text document with jumbled letters and symbols so I'm not sure what's going on with that. If anyone knows where I can get a working edition of WMP for mac that would be great, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
WMP for Mac is outdated and no longer in development.

Try and download Perian and see if that helps out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.