Suspicious Folder Refuses to Be Deleted

Reaction score
After running a virus scan with ClamXav 2.0 beta, I found a folder named /dev which cannot be opened. Believing it to be host to a virus for various reasons, I attempted to delete it in terminal (with root access) but it said "Resource Busy" and wouldn't go away.

I assume that this means it is busy running whatever virus it has. How can I delete this folder when even root access won't work? Is there some way I can pinpoint the process at work in /dev and quit it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Your computer does not have a virus. There are no viruses that infect Mac OS X.

The /dev folder is an important system folder. Do not attempt to delete it. Be glad you were not allowed to delete it, because if you had, you'd be reinstalling OS X right now.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK. Yeah, I did some research and found that out too. So yes, great that I didn't screw over my computer. Definitely a newbie error on my part.

However, I am quite sure that there is an active virus on my computer, or at least some hidden program. My network monitor is reporting a near constant download that will not stop despite closing every program but Finder.

The only explanation that I can come up with is a virus. Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
hmm... did you pirate iWork '09? There's a known Trojan in the pirated version that downloads a bunch of virus-like software to your Mac.

Other than that, I can't help you. But do you have any idea what it is downloading? And how can you tell it is doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As advised there is no virus, but it is always possible you have downloaded a nasty bit of work called a Trojan. The reference to pirated iWork comes about as this was the first manner in which the Trojan 'OSX.RJS plug-in Trojan' was distributed. Have a look at this link for more information and a cure:-

How to Remove the OSX.RSPlug.A Trojan Horse from your Mac | eHow.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
What exactly is your network monitor doing?

I remember somebody posting a few years back about Istumbler - an application that monitors wifi networks. There was an intermittent problem with a shaky wifi connection, and he was watchingIstumbler to see if he could work out what the problem was. Turns out it was Istumbler causing the bottleneck.

Is your network monitor generating the traffic you are seeing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.