Airport can't find ANY networks

Reaction score
I have never had any problems with airport up until a couple of days ago, when it just stopped working for no apparent reason.

Whereas before a whole list of networks would show up (including mine), now nothing shows up. When I open Airport Utility, it says "Airport Utility was unable to find any Apple wireless devices".

I can connect with ethernet and my boyfriend has no problems connecting using airport with his MBPro, so I'm guessing it's a specific problem with my airport card. I haven't installed anything new recently.

I'm running OSX 10.5.8 on a MacBook.

Any help would be really appreciated as this is driving me a little crazy! Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you 100% sure your airport card is working. Occasionally they do fail.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How can I check is it's working? Is it something I can do myself?

If your MacBook & your boyfriend's MBP are setup exactly the same, and the MBP can connect to the network, and your MacBook cannot...this is a good indication that your airport may be failing.

So I would suggest, if you have not already checked...that both your MacBook & your boyfriend's MBP are setup exactly the same in terms of the network & airport settings. And adjust as necessary.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
They are set up the same as far as I can tell.
Could it be a physical problem with the airport card?
Thanks for your help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are set up the same as far as I can tell.
Could it be a physical problem with the airport card?
Thanks for your help.

Regarding your question about could something physical be wrong with the card...such as coming loose for example...I sort of doubt it. It is held in with two screws & has a socketed connector on one end...so I don't think it could come loose (which would be the only physical thing that could go wrong with it), other than actually being physically damaged.

I don't know what your mechanical skills are like, or how ambitious you are about solving this problem...you never mentioned the exact MacBook model you have...but here's some DIY instructions to get at the airport card:

How to Install or Upgrade the Airport Wireless Card In a Macbook | eHow.com

And here is a link for a replacement airport card:

Airport Card for Mac Mini Intel, Mac Book # 661-3890

Basically, if your network settings are correct (just like your boyfriends MBP)...and the MBP can connect & your Macbook cannot...then it would seem that something is wrong with the MacBook's airport card.

An airport card either works or it doesn't...and it sounds like your's is not working.

I hope all of this info is of some help, good luck,:)

- Nick

Edit: By the way...there are two wires that connect to the airport card as well (as you may have seen in the DIY instructions)...so it could be possible one of the wires could have become disconnected. But you won't know for sure unless the MacBook is opened up & inspected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.