upgrading to 802.11n... bad idea?

Reaction score
my wireless has been horrible on my 13" Macbook core - duo that i got in late 2006

after many apple store trips no one has been able to fix it short of spending 350 dollars to replace my airport card....so i have decided to just replace my airport card on my own

since im doing this i wanted to do it right and get the best airport card out there which my research has revieled is the 802.11n... which is not compatable with my computer?... but there are ways of getting around that apparently as long as you buy a base station and are able to install the drivers

i guess my question is that is it worth it upgrading to 802.11n? i don't want to buy a base station, so is it even possible? or should i just get another 802.11g

please help, this has been the most frustrating 6 months of my life (as far as computers go)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have an 802.11n router at home and my MacBook is also capable of doing 802.11n. Where I work, we use a system that provides 802.11g. I can't tell the difference. There's a difference in download and upload speed because of the type of connection that I have at home versus the office. But as far as transfer speeds or security is concerned, I see no difference.

If you can get the 802.11n airport card to work in your older model MacBook, that's fine. However, I don't think you have to get a Base Station to take advantage of it as most newer routers already have 802.11n. If drivers are needed for the newer card, you should be able to get them from Apple. Or, upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard which has built in support for 802.11n.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have an 802.11n router at home and my MacBook is also capable of doing 802.11n. Where I work, we use a system that provides 802.11g. I can't tell the difference. There's a difference in download and upload speed because of the type of connection that I have at home versus the office. But as far as transfer speeds or security is concerned, I see no difference.

If you can get the 802.11n airport card to work in your older model MacBook, that's fine. However, I don't think you have to get a Base Station to take advantage of it as most newer routers already have 802.11n. If drivers are needed for the newer card, you should be able to get them from Apple. Or, upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard which has built in support for 802.11n.

Regards.

oh! im running snow leopard already, so the drivers should already be on my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
There is a misconception that 802.11n will make internet browsing faster than 802.11g. The truth is that N increases wireless range and network transfers between resources, but it won't make a difference in speed. That is still controlled by the ISP. :)

And yes, SL should have the latest Airport drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes pure and simple regarding drivers and your issue may be at the ISP end of things.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes pure and simple regarding drivers and your issue may be at the ISP end of things.

There's a simple way to test this too. Turn off AirPort and connect an ethernet cable directly to your modem or router. Wait about 15 second and test the connection. Is it faster?

If yes, your WiFi connection is being impeded in some way (this could be a function of interference or bad hardware, more likely the former).

If no, you have a different issue. It's either the ISP, the configuration of your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
There is a misconception that 802.11n will make internet browsing faster than 802.11g. The truth is that N increases wireless range and network transfers between resources, but it won't make a difference in speed. That is still controlled by the ISP. :)

And yes, SL should have the latest Airport drivers.

Nicely put. Yes, a/b/g/n just increase the range the signal can reach and how strong it will be at certain distances. It will not make a difference in speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.