is it normal for my computer to slow down this much?

M

menace3054

Every time i secure empty trash, my computer slows down to almost a halt. I mean its virutally useless until the trash is done emptying. (sometimes 10-15 mins for large files) I have a dual 1.8 G5 with 2 GB of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It will take longer to secure empty the trash, depending on the size and number of files you are deleting. Because the files are being completely overwritten it may cause slowness in your other apps while the drive is being rewritten.
It should not grind to a halt, but it will definitely slow things down while it is emptying. How large are the files you are deleting? Repairing Permissions may help a bit, as will something like MacJanitor or some other maintenace app.

OP
M

menace3054

theyre like 8 gb each.. oh well, i guess ill just plan on goin for a walk next time i need to empty trash, thx for the response.

OP
K

Kokopelli

If you are secure deleting 8GB files then yes, the slowdown is reasonable. That is going to be rough on your drive by the way.

It is up to you, but if it is just a "wipe a movie" kind of thing I would not worry about it. *IAA tactics have not included expert drive forensics to this stage and it is highly unlikely that they ever will.

Reaction score
menace3054 said:
is it better to just do normal empty trash?

It is unless you want to wait 15 minutes for it to overwrite the whole thing.

OP
K

Kokopelli

The problem with secure delete is that is overwrites the space. This is a whole lot of reads and writes when you are talking that much space.

Secure delete is great if you are removing financial information or things of that nature. That way if your computer gets stolen or sold it would not be recoverable. So I would use secure delete when you delete personal information that is sensitive in nature, but not all the time. You could leave it on and wipe everything with secure delete, but I would argue that it is not necessary, takes longer, and is harder on your drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.