maximum login attempts with 10.4?

Reaction score
I had an unusual incident yesterday morning with my Imac. I am using Mac OS 10.4. The system would not accept my password. I attempted several times, typing the password carefully each time. When I did so, the log in screen shook as if it didn't recognize the password. I attempted once to log in as a guest, which is a separate account, but the system would not accept its password either. I was momentarily terrified because in three years of daily use, my Mac had never done this before. It was acting as if there were a virus inside the system. In a somewhat desperate attempt to remedy the problem, I did what every PC user would do: I restarted the computer. The password works fine at this point and I have not noticed any glitches in the operations since then.

I will volunteer one additional piece of information which may not be relevant. I have a boarder in my house who uses this system. I set up a "guest" account for him that does not have administrative powers. One theory I have is that he was trying to guess my administrative password. I really don't want to confront the guy if I'm wrong, but I don't want him trying to guess my password either. Unless I am absolutely certain, I am not going to confront him. Is there a maximum number of attempts at logging in? What is that number and what happens if you exceed that number?
Thanks in advance,
Keefe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No maximum as far as I'm aware, you just can't log in.
Use your install disc and change your password.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, what my esteemed colleague said!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hope you did not leave the install DVD where the boarder could get his hands on it and access to your account, or worse, has changed the password? Looks like a format of the drive and a clean install coming up and tell the boarder it has crashed and unavailable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.