Loosing Data on NTFS Formatted Drives - Snow Lep

pwf

Reaction score
Seems since I have installed Snow Lep, I have been loosing large amounts of files. When I open the folder that has the files on a Mac, the folder just appears empty. If I open the same folder on a PC I get The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable.

Any ideas?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Did you enable r/w operations on your NTFS volume? By default, OS X can't do anything but read an NTFS partition.

It might just be that the partition is damaged and a CHKDSK needs to be run from within Windows.

OP
pwf

pwf

Reaction score
Sorry I got interrupted as i was typing my post and didn't include all my info.

I have NTFS for Mac OS X installed. Before I moved to Snow Lep I never had a problem. This is on more than one drive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I got interrupted as i was typing my post and didn't include all my info.

I have NTFS for Mac OS X installed. Before I moved to Snow Lep I never had a problem. This is on more than one drive.

I did too and I removed it. I found it to be unstable with Snow Leopard, despite the fact that Paragon released an update. It ended up causing random spinning wheels of death.

I would recommend disabling or removing it altogether. Mac OS X now has native support for NTFS r/w operations. It is unsupported, but seems to work fine for me thus far.

10.6: Enable native NTFS read/write support - Mac OS X Hints

If that's more trouble than you're willing to expend at the moment, I found that NTFS-3G, an open source alternative, works just fine with SL as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you don't feel like fiddling around with terminal to get native support in Snow Leopard to R/W NTFS, download the free "ntfsMounter" application here which does the same thing.

To cwa:

I haven't heard back from the folks at Paragon yet about the instability of its update to Snow Leopard RE: "Paragon NTFS". I'm hoping they're working on the problem and will have a fix soon. I still don't trust NTFS 3G enough to use it.

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't feel like fiddling around with terminal to get native support in Snow Leopard to R/W NTFS, download the free "ntfsMounter" application here which does the same thing.

To cwa:

I haven't heard back from the folks at Paragon yet about the instability of its update to Snow Leopard RE: "Paragon NTFS". I'm hoping they're working on the problem and will have a fix soon. I still don't trust NTFS 3G enough to use it.

Regards.

Any reason in particular? I had it running for a few days and found it to be stable and fast, unlike earlier versions. It was also a point and click operation to install.

OP
pwf

pwf

Reaction score
Is deleting the app from my applications folder enough to get rid of it?
I have installed the new one you suggested chscag and now have the kitty in my bar...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's an uninstaller that came with the original DMG. If you don't have the DMG, I'd recommend redownloading it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any reason in particular? I had it running for a few days and found it to be stable and fast, unlike earlier versions. It was also a point and click operation to install.

It's been a while since I used it (about a year ago). At the time it would intermittently cause file corruption on the NTFS partition. I also had some bad experiences with an older version I used several years ago when I was running Ubuntu in a dual configuration with Win XP.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I was having problems with Paragon but I realised I had Fuse installed too. Since removing Fuse and re-installed Paragon all my NTFS dealings have been fine.
What sort of problems are you all getting with Paragon?

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread pwf - Is native support working for you OK?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.