emptying trash of time machine inProgress files

Reaction score
hi

I need help deleting two time machine inProgress packages from my trash. one of them in particular i believe is hogging about 200GB of space on my time capsule. the files are from an old sparsebundle for my mac pro. i had to create a fresh sparsebundle when i couldn't link the old one to a clone of my startup drive (which i did when i wanted to upgrade the size of my startup drive). i want to keep the old sparsebundle in case i need to manually find old files. but i don't need these inProgress packages.

i have been able to move the two packages to the trash. then, when i try to secure empty trash i get the 'preparing to empty trash' progress bar and it takes about 12 hours (i kid not) to prepare the 1,900,000 approx files to be emptied from the trash. ok, i can live with that. but then when i was finally able to choose to empty the items from the trash, i got the next progress bar which was counting down the files deleted at a rate of about 1 per second (again, i kid not). i left it overnight and in the morning it had moved from around 1,900,000 to 1,880,000. at this rate i estimate it will take 22 days to empty the trash!

So, I am wondering if there is another way of doing this, what would seem like, a simple task.

thanks

nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Download main menu 1.7.4 (free version)
Go to drop down menu from main menu icon to finder>force empty trash.
Occasionally it may stall, but when/if this happens, just stop process and start again.
It's surprisingly fast for the amount of data its deleting!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.