Cloning a G5 hard drive

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I'm a technician in a small shop that primarily does PC work. However, we're doing more and more with Macs lately and I've run into a problem that has me really stumped.

I'm replacing a Maxtor 160 GB SATA hard drive with a Western Digital 1 TB SATA in a PowerPC G5 running OS 10.5. I prepared the new drive in Disk Utility and then used SuperDuper to clone it. At first glance, the clone seems to be fine but, shortly after powering up and logging on, I start getting all kinds of errors that there is a conflict with various fonts in Extensis Suitcase X1...then I notice that MS Office 2008 apps won't open - they crash. Adobe apps also hang after opening. I tried Safe Booting the new (cloned) drive first to clear any font cache, etc. but to no avail.

Does anyone know what might be causing this behavior?

Thanks much!

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To get an external bootable, after formatting Mac OS Extended (Journalled) did you partition the drive, even if only one partition is required? See if this link is of any assistance:-

Formatting & Partitioning a Hard Drive in OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.