Is the new iMac good?

Amu

Reaction score
Hi there. First of all I would like to say that I am new here, and apologize if this is on the wrong place.
I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me out if the new iMac is the right choice for me. I currently don't have a computer nor laptop, therefore I don't have a monitor or hardware. I have always used a pc, but have used the older iMacs at my college campus, but this will be my first Mac to own.
The iMac that I am interested in is the 27" iMac that just came out. I would like to use it for watching movies/videos, listen to music, surf the web, convert videos/audio, and play games (like Ragnarok, Rose Online, Maplestory, WoW, Aion...). The specs that I chose were the i7 processor and 8GB DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 512MB.
My questions in regards to the hardware are:
Is the ATI Radeon 4850 with 512MB enough to play the games that I listed at high settings (at 1200x800 resolution)? Will it play videos with no problems, or any other graphic intesive software?
Is the graphics card better than the nvidia 8400m gt? (my previous computer had it)
Will the hardware be more than enough to run win xp or win 7 64 bit with no problem? (using boot camp).
Will the iMac overheat if I play games running on win xp or win 7? If so how could I lower the overall temps?
Does the iMac have good heat management (ie fans, heatsinks,...)? Is it better than a laptop?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I do buy this iMac I don't want to regret it. Thanks in advance for the help

Reaction score
Hi there. First of all I would like to say that I am new here, and apologize if this is on the wrong place.
I was wondering if you guys and gals could help me out if the new iMac is the right choice for me. I currently don't have a computer nor laptop, therefore I don't have a monitor or hardware. I have always used a pc, but have used the older iMacs at my college campus, but this will be my first Mac to own.
The iMac that I am interested in is the 27" iMac that just came out. I would like to use it for watching movies/videos, listen to music, surf the web, convert videos/audio, and play games (like Ragnarok, Rose Online, Maplestory, WoW, Aion...). The specs that I chose were the i7 processor and 8GB DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 512MB.
My questions in regards to the hardware are:
1) Is the ATI Radeon 4850 with 512MB enough to play the games that I listed at high settings (at 1200x800 resolution)?
2) Will it play videos with no problems, or any other graphic intesive software?
3) Is the graphics card better than the nvidia 8400m gt? (my previous computer had it)
4) Will the hardware be more than enough to run win xp or win 7 64 bit with no problem? (using boot camp).
5) Will the iMac overheat if I play games running on win xp or win 7?
6) If so how could I lower the overall temps?
7) Does the iMac have good heat management (ie fans, heatsinks,...)? Is it better than a laptop?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I do buy this iMac I don't want to regret it. Thanks in advance for the help

First of all... those are some impressive specs, but to answer your questions....

1) Yes, more than enough, I play Call of Duty 4 on a MBP with a 256 mb 9600M GT, so I'd say yes.

2) of course it will play videos with no problem, 720p, 1080p High def, take your pick.

3) Oh yes...:)

4) I'm not sure if Bootcamp supports a 64 Bit OS at this time.

5) It will be hot, but no... it will not overheat.

6) You could blow on it...:) seriously, you can't.

7) That's in the eye of the beholder, but sure it has good heat management.

Well... I hope this helps you in some way;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
On the list of computers that can run 64-bit Windows through Bootcamp, the iMac is not one of them. This new iMac may change things up a bit, but I don't think Apple has refreshed their list of compatible computers. You may want to call them to find out. Good luck.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I know is I can boot my C2D (64-Bit) Mac Mini from my Windows XP SP2 64 CD. I would bet all the C2D Macs would run 64 Bit Windows. Only issues I can see with Windows 7 would be 64 Bit drivers for all the hardware in the new iMac.

Reaction score
I concur, I had to sell my 64 bit version of Win XP to trade it in for a 32 bit, it does install, and run... but no drivers.

OP
A

Amu

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the help :). So far I'm 98% certain that I will buy it, but I have two last questions. Will it run win xp like the pc does, without lags/glitches? I really don't mind it I can't use the 64bit version of windows as most of the software that I will use are mostly 32bit. But I just want to make sure that win xp runs smooth :]. And the last question is, will it be difficult to find the drives for the hardware in win xp? It's really complicated to find drives for win xp, especially if the hardware is considered like that of laptops? If so what places would you recommend me to find the drives? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
do you mean drivers for hardware? all the drivers XP needs are included if you use the Apple CD on the Windows side, if PnP doesn't find them already. And being the same hardware, XP will run very smooth.

OP
A

Amu

Reaction score
Yeah I meant drivers sorry. Ohh ok, that's perfect. So that means no hunting for the drivers :). Awsome, so that settles it, iMac it is :]. Thank you all for the help :]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Buy 3 just because =]

Reaction score
The new imac is very good, i would recommend it to anyone who can afford it! If you have money get the quad core you will notice difference compared to dual core when you have lots of apps running. Hopefully il get one soon :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I own one of the older ones and I love it, though I would gladly trade it in for the new 27" quad core, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I own a now ancient 24" Core2Duo 3.06 with 8gb of ram and it's a GREAT machine.

The 27" will rox yo sox.

OP
A

Amu

Reaction score
Wow, I looked at a YouTube video with a core2duo @3.06ghz and an ati 4850 and it had a score of 5.9 in widows 7, the highest being 6.5 :O. Will the i7 @2.8 raise up the index score? I know the gpu part won't since it will use the same graphics card. But wow, I am definately getting it now lol. Can't wait to play games on it XD. I hope that the iMac won't shut on me if I play for long hours lol.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Vista's high score was 5.9. I just ran it the other day on my gaming system and got a 5.9 and checked the help. It flat out said 5.9 was the high score. Is Windows 7 different in that test?

Reaction score
Isn't it funny how Apple hardware scores a very high score and yet for cheaper hardware, it gets a much lower score on a Windows computer? This is why I prefer Apple- it's just higher quality. Heck, my HP media center running 64bit Windows Vista with a 3gHz Intel Core 2 Quad scores just 4.3 (better than my old laptop, which scored no higher than 3.0) and it cost nearly as much as brand new iMac w/ near identical specs (at the time that we purchased it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27imac i7 8gig 4850, 2x24 imacs 4gig gt130, 15inch MBP 4gig 9600m, iphone, 3g,3gs,itouch
i got the exact same spec machine as you described and it runs everything you listed exceptionally well. W7 64 bit is nice, but OSX has better management of it's hardware, this is to be expected. It has not overheated on me yet. However, playing Aion for hours in W7 64 bit will bring the GPU to the mid 80's to mid 90 degrees C. Once in the 90's the fans will finally kick on and it will go back to mid to high 80's. This should be OK since the card is rated to go a bit higher. Though if any1 has any tips on perhaps a good manual fan control prog for the new hardware plus W7, please let me know!! THX!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.