27" iMac as an External Monitor

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not sure if anyone has touched on this yet...but we do get a fair number of questions such as:

"Can I use my iMac as an external monitor?"

...well I was just reading some details on the new 27" iMac...and YES it does have a "video in" port...and thus can be used as an external monitor...for say a laptop.:)

Apple iMac Hands On - iMac - Gizmodo

- Nick

175421-target_500.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Umm....I guess for temporarily using it as a second monitor to display things on a laptop in larger format, this makes sense....otherwise why not use the iMac that is superior in every way to a MBP?

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Umm....I guess for temporarily using it as a second monitor to display things on a laptop in larger format, this makes sense....otherwise why not use the iMac that is superior in every way to a MBP?

I totally understand your logic, and looking at things as they stand now, you're absolutely right!!!:)...but think long term. In a couple years (or less) the 27" iMac that was launched today will not be "King of the Hill"...and it's external or 2nd monitor capabilities will be "lustfully" sought after.:)

Just think of all of the people that currently have older 20" or 24" iMacs (1,2, or 3 years old)...they would LOVE to be able to use them as a 2nd monitor!

- Nick

Reaction score
Interesting. Now I have an excuse to go out and buy a 27" iMac.

Reaction score
Haha, what are you planning on hooking up to it? Just another monitor or something like a DVD player?

Nope. Just something I can run my PowerMac on and get rid of a monitor and an old desktop PC, whilst still having two computers in my room on my desk. Unless of course that picture is a joke. Still it would be neat!

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless of course that picture is a joke. Still it would be neat!

Hey man...you think I'm pulling your leg with that picture???;)

Read the link as well!:) It also mentions the 27" screen being great for connecting a Blue-Ray player.

- Nick

T

todd51

Nope it's not a joke, if you look under the technical specs, or click "Compare" in the store, it states that the 27 inch quad-core model supports video input.

Reaction score
Ah. Sweet. The video out makes it a perfect excuse to get it though.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it states that the 27 inch quad-core model supports video input.

Hey I didn't catch that little detail...I just checked the specs...and as I read it, it looks like all 27" models have the video input.

At least that's the way it seems when I read it. That would be sort of "cheezy" of Apple to only have "video in" on just the quad-core models.

- Nick

T

todd51

Hey I didn't catch that little detail...I just checked the specs...and as I read it, it looks like all 27" models have the video input.

At least that's the way it seems when I read it. That would be sort of "cheezy" of Apple to only have "video in" on just the quad-core models.

- Nick

Sorry that's my bad, it's all 27 inch models.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry that's my bad, it's all 27 inch models.

No problem...I'm glad you mentioned it, gave me a reason to go to the Apple site & review the specs!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
So... here is how it works....

I bit the bullet and bought a 27" base model today.... I'll mainly be using it as an external to my macbook pro.

I did a writeup on my findings on my blog, which you can find by clicking here

Enjoy! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That's interesting, since on Cnet they specifically said they don't know of any way to easily use it as an external monitor. It's surprising they missed something that is clearly a part of the specs.

This would be great for people with places that are "spacially challenged" and can use it for a mini entertainment center by connecting TV, Blu-Ray, and a gaming system like a PS3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I totally understand your logic, and looking at things as they stand now, you're absolutely right!!!:)...but think long term. In a couple years (or less) the 27" iMac that was launched today will not be "King of the Hill"...and it's external or 2nd monitor capabilities will be "lustfully" sought after.:)

Just think of all of the people that currently have older 20" or 24" iMacs (1,2, or 3 years old)...they would LOVE to be able to use them as a 2nd monitor!

- Nick

You are correct, sir! I didn't think long term...good call!

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are correct, sir! I didn't think long term...good call!

Hey...your logic was correct as well.:)

As a brand new speedy Macintosh model, the 27" iMac would be faster than most other previous Macs out there...so using the 27" iMac as a 2nd monitor would seem a little silly in the short term if it has a faster CPU than the other Mac that would be trying to use it as a 2nd monitor.

Maybe the "video in" ability on the new 27" iMac is meant more for things like an external blue-ray player, a PS3, or something else. It would only be after a couple years when newer & faster Macs are released that the current 27" iMac might become attractive as a 2nd monitor for a faster Mac.

All is good,:)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, it's possible or not use as external monitor? I hope so...

It's already been stated multiple times in this thread that the new 27" iMac supports "video in" which means it could be used as a 2nd monitor/external monitor.

But if you still have your doubts read this:

Apple - iMac - Technical Specifications

...specifically the "Graphics and Video Support" section.

And there's this photo (which hasn't been "photoshopped") which visually display's this ability:

175421-target_500.png

Hope this helps,

- Nick

P84

Reaction score
It's already been stated multiple times in this thread that the new 27" iMac supports "video in" which means it could be used as a 2nd monitor/external monitor.

But if you still have your doubts read this:

Apple - iMac - Technical Specifications

...specifically the "Graphics and Video Support" section.

And there's this photo (which hasn't been "photoshopped") which visually display's this ability:

175421-target_500.png

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Sorry my insistence... thank you for answering! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.