How is AT&T's coverage, honestly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I'd be switching from T-Mobile, which is atrocious. With T-Mobile, I barely get any service in my new apartment, university buildings/libraries, or concert venues. I'd have to pay a $200 cancellation fee so I need to know if AT&T will be any better. My service location is Cleveland, Ohio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Generally, AT&T is much better than T-Mobile. I'm not personally aware of what service is like in Cleveland, but if I had to venture a guess I'd say that you would definitely see an improvement over your current provider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You need to ask people in your area. Co-workers, friends and family. I have excellent coverage in California but I'm pretty sure that doesn't help you one bit. :p

Also check their website it will tell you.

AT&T Coverage Viewer

Reaction score
i traveled to Cleveland many times over the last 4 years on business and in downtown close to the Rock and Roll hall of fame and near the airport and in between ATT was really good.

but between Cleveland and Columbus coverage was spotty, same for between Columbus and Cincinnati, but in each of those cities the coverage was really good. it just got bad about 30 to 40 miles out of the city.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Any GSM provider in the US will have spotty coverage.
Metropolitan areas are better, but if you live in the sticks you can more or less forget it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
Used to know a girl with T-mobile sidekick, couldnt get service anywhere in any buildings in the school while i sat next to her with a "free" phone from ATT with full service, From that experience ive concluded that T-mobile's service sucks......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3 inch mid 09 4gb RAM 500GB HD, iPhone 8GB, 30GB ipod video, Airport Extreme
its OK at best here in Chicago

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I get great coverage here in the DC area. There's one spot on the beltway where I ALWAYS drop calls, but that's about it.
I had T-Mo here as well, and the coverage was horrendous at best. Dropped calls, no service, etc. I paid the cancellation fee willingly and happily just to be rid of them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with the above poster who said it depends on where you live. Ask people who live around you. AT&T coverage here where I am in Central California is first rate and better than most anything I have messed with, but that can to the complete reverse where you live.

TWM

Reaction score
I live out in the sticks in ca. And swithrd from verizon. I will say that verizon had. Little better service, AT&T has been really good so far!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Definitely depends on where you live I suppose. Even when I was living and working in New York City, coverage varied greatly. But it was never, ever all that good. Sprint was better in NYC, and Verizon pwn'd, period.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
Not completely related to your question, but when I was in SoCal and around Phoenix, AZ during this past summer with my T-Mobile UK sim I only lost connection and had to take on AT&T for about a minute once during the journey to Phoenix. Every other time, when everybody seemed to always be complaining about not having signal with AT&T or Sprint or Verizon or T-Mobile, I had full signal the whole time with T-Mobile UK...

Just thought it was a bit strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
The commercials pretty much sum up at&t's coverage nicely. I am having a hard time not dumping my at&t iPhone 3gs for verizon's droid. Verizon has a first rate network with a LOT more coverage area IMO. It is different in everyones section of the country tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hey bud, I live in Rocky River, right next to Cleveland...
My reception is pretty good, but it gets HORRIBLE when I try to go down in the valley(I can't even make a call!). The coverage in downtown cleveland is iffy...sometimes it's great, sometimes its really bad. The buildings don't really make things better. I actually haven't noticed much of a difference between my iphone on at&t versus my mda on t-mobile in terms of reception.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I can't even use my phone in my house. I have to walk out to the curb in front of the house to do anything other than text. I so can't wait to ditch AT&T... worst service ever. Well, that's not true.. Sprint was on par... Verizon was much better locally. In short, outside the Bay Area (I lived in Livermore and Brentwood, worked in Pleasanton and San Jose.. so all around that area).. where it really didn't matter whose service you had.. AT&T and Sprint bring forth the suck. (Sprint may have changed with the T-Mobile purchase)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here in Central California around 85 miles east of the Silicon Valley and SF Bay area, AT&T has always given me excellent coverage. I always have signal. Been with other friends out in the sticks north of here and they had zero signal and I was still at 3-4 bars. I have taken trips to the San Francisco/San Jose area through the Altamont Pass and 2 ranges of mountains and I never lost signal once including all over the Silicon Valley and SF.

It really depends on where you live. Some areas AT&T is better and others say Verizion is better. Depends on the area. I am GLAD that AT&T works great here as I do love the iphone.

Reaction score
Verizon does have better coverage. But the Droid doesn't beat the 3gs. The selection of Apps is what really makes a significant difference. No company can really make up for that difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
But apps don't mean squat if you can't get service :D

Really, then you're left with an outrageously expensive ipod.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.