G5 tower OSX Start Up issue

Reaction score
Hello All,

1. My computer crashed while I had a few websites open (no media, just html). I force shut down.

2. I turn computer on but now its stuck on grey apple screen (no spinning, wheel no anything until 5 min. pass and then the fans are screaming.

3. After trying to reset nvram/on board button/single user mode, etc. I get nothing until One time i hold down mouse cd tray opens and then it powers up fine.

4. I shut down and It didn't turn on again.

5. I go to Apple store and of course it turns on twice for the guy perfectly, the "Genius" then told me he couldn't figure what was up, except maybe the monitor being the problem, since it a mouse and the keyboard are the only external devices plugged in.

6. I brought it back to my office and tried it with a different monitor NO DICE!!

7. I was able to get it on once again with that new monitor after several tries of the mouse trick and this time i was prepared I ran disk clean up and defragment. Turned it off, and it never came back on, mouse trick no longer works, and I need this bad boy back on ASAP, ANYBODY, PLEASE, HELP!!! :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums Michael. You have not provided model or operating sysrem details.

However try and boot from the system install DVD and if any joy, go to utilities and run Repair Disk.

Also pop in Disc one of the original system install discs that came with the machine, hold down Option key after chime and select Apple Hardware Test and run full test.

If you have neither you do have problems, however try and zap the PRAM by booting and immediately after the chimes hold down Command, Option, P and R keys all at the same time. Hold down until third set of reboot chimes and release. Also have a look at this link:-

Apple - Support - Discussions - G5 won't boot! Beach ball of death is ...

Keep us posted?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply I'm running Leopard and its a G5 powerpc dual processor about 2 GB ram i believe. I don't have original disks since i got it from my sisters Graphic design agency. But I did do a disk repair one of the times and I don't get a chime when i try to do PRAM reboot. thank you again for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a look at these suggestions:-

Power or Start Up Quick Assist

Sometimes to do these checks, you need the old USB keyboard and mouse and not a wireless kb & m! Also consider replacing the PRAM battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.