Software update not working anymore with Snow Leopard

Reaction score
has anyone else had this problem? i can launch the software updater, and it finds what i need to update, but when i "agree" it does nothing. any suggestions? thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
you could try a fresh com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist file.

You'll find that in your Home folder(house icon) > Library > Preferences.
Drag it out onto your Desktop for safekeeping.
Fire up Mail.(see below - Mail not relevant here)
If the problem is gone, delete the file you moved, it is corrupt.
A new one was created in the Preferences folder, set to defaults.

If that fails, try using Mail (or here) from a different User Account. If the problems go away, your other account is corrupt

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A little confused here - not sure what Mail has to do with Software Update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
A little confused here - not sure what Mail has to do with Software Update.

Me too, and exactly the same post is in the Desktop Not Working thread by Beleg Cuthalion, which once again, the "Mail app" has no relevance.... I think toMACsh is just trying to keep us on our toes or something :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nah, someone diagnosed it correctly in the other thread. I didn't do an editing job after using copy and paste.

In this one, substitute Software Update for Mail, and all is well.

Reaction score
Found possible solution

I realise this is a lot later down the track but I was having this exact same problem and found a solution elsewhere but thought I'd share it here if anyone is also having similar problems in the future. For me the issue seems to have been an inability for my computer to authenticate. I figured this out when I tried to follow the instructions in this thread and create a new user account to see if my one was corrupted, but I couldn't even unlock the preference pane to add another user.

It turns out the culprit is a third party keyboard driver that I made when someone spilled wine on my laptop and it disable the delete key [a rather crucial key I have to say] the fix for me was as simple as going to my /library/keyboard layouts [note, NOT the keyboard layouts in your home folders library but in your root folders library] and dragging it onto the desktop [I still need the driver later if I want to have a delete key] I then tried software update and everything worked perfectly.

Hope this helps anyone else out

Ben.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.