My First MBP. Questions!

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm preparing to finally take a plunge and get myself a new MacBook Pro. I've been a Mac user for years, but this will be my first laptop! :)

Let me first say I'll be using it largely for graphic and web design, as well as for productivity/personal. The plan is to connect it to a monitor at home, and take it with me to work (where I have a Mac Pro). I have a few questions I hoping someone can help me with:

- Size. I'm torn between the 15" and 17" models. I'm sure the 15" is easier to pack around, but I'd love the real estate of the larger one

- Screen: Glossy or Antiglare? I'm thinking the matte screen would be nicer, but I was wondering if there are any downsides to it.

- AppleCare: Worth it?

- Financing: Use Apple's or bring your own? How do most of you pay for it?

Any other tips or tidbits are also appreciated!

Thanks!

Reaction score
For me, when I compared all three MBPs at the store side by side, there was a very dramatic increase from the 13" to the 15". But the increase from 15" to 17" was not as dramatic (still bigger, but not as noticable). The 17" was too big for me. However, each person has their own likes/needs ... and if you would "love the real estate of the larger one" then you should get it.

Regarding glossy vs. matt ... again, totally personal. I LOVE the glossy screen, but I have read numerous complaints from others who prefer matt.

What is sweet is the fact that no matter what model and configuration, you are going to get one awesome computer :)

Apple Care was not worth it to me. In my opinion, electronics will either work or not work and you will know whether your Mac is good or not well within the warranty period.

Normally, the first thing on a laptop to die will be the HD. To me, HD are inexpensive (and easy) to replace. So, if you get 3-4 years out of it and it dies, so be it. By that time you can replace it with a much better/bigger/faster HD cheaper than the price of Apple Care.

If you are set on an extended warranty, you may want to purchase at Best Buy. Their extended warranty covers everything including breakage whereas the Apple extended warranty only covers manufacturer's defects. So, if your screen cracks and it was not because of a manufacturer's defect, you will still have to cover it. Once again, if it had a faulty screen put in from Apple, it would probably crack within the first year.

I do not finance depreciating assets (even at 0% interest), so I saved up my cash and purchased outright.

Congrats on your upcoming purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My experience included a previous 17 Powerbook which was replaced with a 15 powerbook as it was better for traveling esp on aircraft. With a new 15 MBP i did not bother with extended warranty but it developed a video issue at 18 months and my only cost was shipping. If you are using an external monitor at home then 15 should do the trick. Here is how i dealt with it and a 20"Philips - built in speakers;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
...I have a few questions I hoping someone can help me with:

- Size. I'm torn between the 15" and 17" models. I'm sure the 15" is easier to pack around, but I'd love the real estate of the larger one

- Screen: Glossy or Antiglare? I'm thinking the matte screen would be nicer, but I was wondering if there are any downsides to it.

- AppleCare: Worth it?

- Financing: Use Apple's or bring your own? How do most of you pay for it?

Any other tips or tidbits are also appreciated!

Thanks!

I have the 17" MBP and love it. I don't find it too cumbersome when trying to transport it. Remember: size is measured diagonally and the difference between the actual size of the 15" and 17" would be about an inch or so which I wouldn't make a big stink about.

I went glossy on the screen. People say the antiglare helps cut down on the glare (duh), but to be honest, I don't find myself fighting with the light in any room I've used it in. The glossy is also speculated to have brighter colors and "pop" more.

I don't have AppleCare for my MBP yet only because I didn't have extra money at time of purchase. I think I will get it within the first year when I have the money to do so. I like to know I have an extra 2 years of service and support at the tip of my fingers.

As far as financing goes, I didn't. I had the cash to dump on my laptop from and like not having a monthly payment. For Apple's vs. your own credit? I'm not sure which would be easier and I would find which ever has the lowest rates because that's what matters, how much you're going to have to pay back.

Extra: I would recommend some kind of case or sleeve for it. Mine hasn't yet, but I can see this being easily scratched. I got one of the Incase brand sleeves for mine and it works well for keeping it protected from anything other than a drop.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks all... very helpful info.

So far, I've decided to get the 15" (the 2.66, I'm thinking), and am hoping to find a store in town (sadly, no Apple store near me) that I can compare the glossy/matte screens. Leaning toward the antiglare right now, though.

As for financing, technically I have the money to pay for it outright, but I figure why not get a credit card with 0% APR for 12 months, and pay it off over just a few large payments. I'll build credit and my bank account won't take such a hit at once.

AppleCare, thinking maybe not for now. I've heard about the Best Buy accident protection coverage... but generally I hesitate to do much with BB at all.

Oh, one more question... is there any benefit/detriment to purchasing it directly from the Apple store online?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Thanks all... very helpful info.

So far, I've decided to get the 15" (the 2.66, I'm thinking), and am hoping to find a store in town (sadly, no Apple store near me) that I can compare the glossy/matte screens. Leaning toward the antiglare right now, though.

As for financing, technically I have the money to pay for it outright, but I figure why not get a credit card with 0% APR for 12 months, and pay it off over just a few large payments. I'll build credit and my bank account won't take such a hit at once.

AppleCare, thinking maybe not for now. I've heard about the Best Buy accident protection coverage... but generally I hesitate to do much with BB at all.

Oh, one more question... is there any benefit/detriment to purchasing it directly from the Apple store online?

Hey, Better Buy is my store! Stop bad mouthing us! lol. The black tie protection is a sweet program. It's not just an extended warranty... it's accident coverage, preventative maintenance, other crap. It's pretty solid.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey, Better Buy is my store! Stop bad mouthing us! lol. The black tie protection is a sweet program. It's not just an extended warranty... it's accident coverage, preventative maintenance, other crap. It's pretty solid.

Haha, sorry... I've just had some bad experiences! ;)

I had a couple of other questions, for anyone else who can help...

- The antiglare screen, can you ONLY get it as a custom order from Apple.com? My local (and only) retailer that carries Macs mentioned this.

- If your spouse is a student, is it possible to get the Education discount? Do you have to submit anything?

And ouch! Sales tax if purchased from Apple.com? Another retailer would be nice to avoid this, but I wouldn't be able to customize my system, I presume. Hmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
You're right, there are only so many things a store can do to customize a computer for you. I wanted to get the 7200rpm HD instead of the stock 5400rpm and they said I had to order it online because they don't do that in store. I suppose it depends on what store your at, but I was at the Apple store. If your spouse is a student, I think you can still get it at the education discount. I'm not sure if your spouse would have to purchase it and provide proof because I got my education discount online and didn't have to show anything. Good luck.

Reaction score
On the tax note, my sister lives in Deleware(I live in Jersey), and when I bought mine I had her get it there. No tax. And her husband works for barclays so I got 100 dollars off. But look into Deleware if you know anybody that lives by there.

OP
P
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't know too many people out of state, and even so then I'd have to pay to re-ship it, etc.

I'm considering driving to an Apple Store. Does anyone know if you can PURCHASE MacBook Pros with the anti-glare screen there? Any cons to purchasing directly at the actual store? It might seem silly, but I really really want to compare the two screen types side by side. For such a big purchase, I want to get what I want! There's no store in my area that has one available to look at.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.