Swollen Battery

Reaction score
Hi my MacBook Pro battery is swollen and is not charging. The macbook was originally purchased in 2006 and had a replacement battery for the same reason in 2007. Is this a common fault, as I am being told by Mac that they will not replace it free as the replacement is now over a year old and they say it is not a fault but a safety feature!. Any advice?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Batteries are disposable items, whether in a remote, a boom box, an automobile, or a computer. Sounds like it's time to get yourself a new battery.

Three years until you needed to purchase the first one, puts the cost at roughly $2.75 per month. Not too shabby for what these batteries do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If it's physically swollen, bring it into the Apple store and show it to them.

If they don't replace it, tell both the technician and the store manager that you intend to report the product to the Consumer Product Safety commission (assuming you're in the USA)

The CPSC site is here: Report Unsafe Products

Be careful when handling a swollen battery, and do not use it or keep it in the computer.

OP
G
Reaction score
Just want to let you know that having called Apple Care and getting nowhere I booked a session at the apple store in Regent Street, they said it was a known problem and replaced the battery without hesitation, even though it was out of warranty. Don't be fobbed off as there clearly is a design fault on these batteries. Great Service Regent Street, Just what you expect from MAC Thank YOU.

Reaction score
Hi my MacBook Pro battery is swollen and is not charging. The macbook was originally purchased in 2006 and had a replacement battery for the same reason in 2007. Is this a common fault, as I am being told by Mac that they will not replace it free as the replacement is now over a year old and they say it is not a fault but a safety feature!. Any advice?
In the R/C world, we use a lot of Lithium Polystyrene batteries for helicopters, planes and R/C cars & trucks.
We call this "puffing".
It means your battery is toast.
Get rid of it ASAP - run your computer on the power supply only until you can afford to get a replacement.
And: Yes - it is a common fault.

Reaction score
Just want to let you know that having called Apple Care and getting nowhere I booked a session at the apple store in Regent Street, they said it was a known problem and replaced the battery without hesitation, even though it was out of warranty. Don't be fobbed off as there clearly is a design fault on these batteries. Great Service Regent Street, Just what you expect from MAC Thank YOU.

I don't know where "Regent Street" is, but anyone that will give you a $129 battery for free has got to become your best friend.

There isn't anything wrong with the design of the batteries - the recall was for the Sanyo LiPo cells that were being used by every laptop manufacturer (Lenovo, Dell, HP) at the time.

Maybe yours fell under the recall umbrella. Very nice of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.