Time Machine restore

Reaction score
hiya,
i am fairly new to OS X and have recently had to do a hard restore using the dvd disks that i got with my macbook. i have an external drive with a full time machine back up on it, but i want to slowly add all my old files etc rather than restore from it completly.
my question, if anyone can help me is this; what folders do i need to restore in order to get my internet settings (bookmarks network settings etc) and 'mail' settings (old emails, folders and inbox etc) back the way they were?
i have had a quick look at the migration tool but it seems i will copy all the user settings by using this programme. i am hoping that it will be a case of finding user/library/mail/.... in the time machine backups and press restore to make those 2 programmes (safari and mail) work like they did before the hard reset.
any help would be great - thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Hi, welcome to the forums.

To restore your bookmarks in Safari, you want to fire up TimeMachine and navigate to the /Users/your-username/Library/Safari/ folder.

You will need to restore the Bookmarks.plist file from whatever backup interval you want (probably the latest before the re-install).

For Mail you can do the same thing. Navigate to

/Users/your-username/Library/Mail/

Restore the entire folder and everything you had before the reinstall should reappear the next time you open Mail.

Let us know how it goes.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks very much for the welcome and the sound advice. very clear and for safari it worked a treat!
i needed to set up mail again no matter how i restored from TM. after setting up my imap settings etc it took a while but restored all back to normal. - now back to the slow process of updating os x and applications that i managed to restore!
one thing though i cant find my ical and address book files to restore them to the original ones, if there is an easy way then i would appreciate it,
thanks again!
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.