Monitor upgrade

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a G5 1.8 dual that I purchased in 2004 with an Apple 17" studio monitor..
My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. I have 4 GB of ram.
I want to get a bigger monitor and I would love to have an HD monitor if they really do make a big difference. Looking for comments here.
My questions are: Do I need to upgrade my 64 MB graphics card? What would be the best card to purchase? Also, I would like to buy an Apple HD monitor but I think that the cost is out of my range. Which other monitors would you suggest?
I didn't think that I would ever need a bigger monitor.
I was wrong.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My questions are: Do I need to upgrade my 64 MB graphics card? What would be the best card to purchase? Also, I would like to buy an Apple HD monitor but I think that the cost is out of my range. Which other monitors would you suggest?
I didn't think that I would ever need a bigger monitor.
I was wrong.

Unless you plan on playing a lot of games, I don't think you need to update your video card.

As far as the Apple Monitor questions...we have absolutely no idea what your cost range is...are you as rich as Bill Gates?;)...or are you unemployed with no money in the bank? :(

But honestly...IMHO...all Apple monitors are VERY Friggin expensive, and way over priced. So I would say Apple monitors although nice are not a good value.

I have an 24" HP, a 22" ACER, and a 19" Samsung monitor...and all been great!

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the looks.

I was hoping to be around $300.
Hey DanFlan, thats a sweet screen. Would I be able to run this monitor with my stock graphics card?
I don't play games.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.