"Hot-keys" not working on aluminium keyboard.

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct category, but i'm pretty sure this is a software issue. Anyway, I have i iMac G4 ("lamp") running osx 10.4.11 tiger. Earlyer i used a standard "windows-keyboard" because it was the only thing i had. The keyboard had some hardware keys for Volume, play and pause. These keys worked like a charm on my iMac and the Scroll-Lock and Pause/Break keys could adjust the brightness and F12 opened the cd-tray.

Lately i got a wired aluminium keyboard -the small one without a numpad, and none of the hotkeys are working. When i press F12 (volume up) the dashboard pops up. When i press F11 (volume down), it shows the desktop. F4 (dashboard) have no effect at all, regardless if i press the FN key or not. I've tried to check/uncheck "Use the function keys (F1, F2 etc"... with no result.
I've also upgraded to apple keyboard software 1.2.
The Media keys (back/forward/play) does not work either.

This is kinda weird, since these functions worked with my cheap, low end windows keyboard, but not with a orginal apple keyboard....

Any suggestions?
Please excuse my poor english O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You English is fine. I assume it's not your native language. I see more mistakes in a post of that length by others whom I assume are native speakers.

Open the Keyboard and Mouse System Preferences Pane. If you click "Change Keyboard Type" it may prompt you to go through some steps to identify the keyboard. I didn't want to try this right now. It says mine is not identified, but it works fine!

OP
V
Reaction score
There is no option that says "change keyboard type"...:(

i have also tried to delete the keyboard-plist in /library/preferences and rebooted, with no result.

OP
V
Reaction score
SOLVED

This is definatly some kind of bug in Tiger.

I used th LeopardAssist hack and upgraded to leopard, and presto! I works!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Your English is fine. I assume it's not your native language. I see more mistakes in a post of that length by others whom I assume are native speakers.
Not to mention my own typos!

There is no option that says "change keyboard type"...:(
My fault for assuming Tiger has that as well. I should have mentioned that I'm in Leopard.

Reaction score
Tiger does have that, at least mine does.
Also there might be a checkbox, something about using f-keys as function keys or special keys.

Reaction score
SOLVED

This is definatly some kind of bug in Tiger.

I used th LeopardAssist hack and upgraded to leopard, and presto! I works!

It's not a bug in Tiger. Heck my old 1999 Apple Keyboard, connected to a 2000 year model Power Mac running Tiger does the exact as mentioned in the first post. F12 ejects/shows Dashboard, F11 shows Desktop F10 shows all opened windows in the application (I think) and F9 is Expose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.