Developer Tools and switching Macs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a MacBook Pro and transferred all the files from my old MacBook. I had the Apple Developer Tools on the old ones, and now have those files on the new one, but they no longer worked (actually, gcc didn't, but Xcode still opened). So I asked on another forum, and they said I could just reinstall the Developer Tools, which I did. Now gcc at least seems to exist, but Xcode doesn't work. All the applications' icons are missing, etc.

halp?

This is how things are at the moment:

$ gcc
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1: no input files
$ xed hello.cpp
2009-10-19 14:03:24.821 xed[690:903] Can't find app with identifier com.apple.xcode
$ open -a Xcode hello.cpp
The application /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app cannot be opened because its executable is missing.
$ ls /Developer/
About Xcode.app Documentation Extras Icon? Makefiles SDKs javacc-4.2
Applications Examples Headers Library Platforms Tools usr
$ echo $PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Reaction score
I'm just about sure I can't help because I'm so new to programming that I can barely open Xcode, but I do know that I had to install a different version of the developer tools when I upgraded to SL. Did you install the version that came with SL or the appropriate one from the Dev Center or did you install and old version by any chance...

OP
I
Reaction score
I didn't realize there were two versions; I just grabbed the one from the website.

Gcc works from the command line though; it seems it's only the actual applications like Xcode and Interface Builder that don't work.

Reaction score
Well, I don't know how many versions are listed on the main page, but I do know I had to be sure and choose the "correct" version for SL, of course it might have had something to do with iPhone development too. Unfortunately, I don't know how to tell what version I have installed so we could compare...well, the about file says Xcode Version 3.2 for SL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.