• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Kodak Zi8 Settings

Reaction score
Did a search and did not find any threads about the Zi8 and people using it with the Mac or iMovie.

Just wanted to start a thread for the users of the Zi8 (and other pockets HD cameras) to talk about the import process and settings they are using. I have yet to do any comparison between the PC software that comes with the camera and an iMovie import, but have seen some PC vids and cant tell if I am loosing image quality by using iMovie. Look forward to the responses

Reaction score
if you can't notice any difference in quality then it doesn't matter. It's like the way people say they can't see the difference between 1080p and 720p. And TBH you can't ... on a small TV. If it's good enough already .. then no worries.

As long as you set the "Import HD video as" preference to "Full - Original Size" then you'll be fine.

I'm looking at the Zi8 for using with iMovie. Before I buy, do you think it's good enough for video fitting instructions. I have been tasked with making video fitting instructions for my company (to go with the written ones i've already made).

Reaction score
Importing to iMovie and Final Cut Express 4

Hi, I just got a zi8 and connected it to my mac book pro via the built-in usb. I could not get FCE to recognise the camera the normal way by using File/Log and Transfer. Although it could see the zi8 as a mounted disk I got the following warning when trying to access the video folder:

"105EKZi8" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

So, I did it this way:

Both imovie and final cut express 4 can import the video from the zi8. Use File/Import/Files and you should see your zi8 in the list of devices. If you don't, try pressing the on/off button on the zi8 and then it should show up. So please don't bother converting anything with other software first, it's nice a simple and works easily.

I am now wrestling with editing in FCE as I'm a complete newb with this software. The book I bought off ebay has been lost in the post so it looks like a long haul. Cheers.

Reaction score
Hi I am new to Macs and I have a Macbook white running OX 10.4.11 when I go to imovie (08 7.1.4) it doesn't give me the option to import files only import From Camera , HD Project or movies

Any advice, on trying to connect my Kodak zi8 on this system? Or do I have to have a different version of imovie?

Reaction score
Actually now I have bigger problems, not only did my new camera not work on the Mac it has scrambled the SDHC card so now it won't work on my PC either!

Not a good start for a new MAC convert. :Confused:

Reaction score
Editing in FCP Studio 2 with Zi8 720p 30fps - issues...

Happy to find this thread! I am a professional video producer and recently got the Zi8 for xmas. I love it! However I am trying to shoot and edit short youtube tutorials and videos and FCP imports the footage fine. However as I make cuts or add transitions I am noticing that it causes the footage right after the cut or effect to freeze while audio continues then it fast forwards the video while audio remains ok until it catches up! I read and found that H264 is hard to edit and realize I may have to convert to pro res or QT before cutting. To import I dragged video from Zi8 folder to a project folder on my HD and imported fine. Using a G5 tower. Anyone have any suggestions?

Wildstyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g
I also got a zi8 for christmas, and it's definitely a good camera! I copy the .MOV files from the SD card to the desktop, then use the "Import Movie" in iMovie '09. When i upload to the tube (youtube) I just go to share -> export movie -> then export it at 720p. Btw, I use 720p at 60fps
Actually now I have bigger problems, not only did my new camera not work on the Mac it has scrambled the SDHC card so now it won't work on my PC either!

Not a good start for a new MAC convert. :Confused:

What SDHC card are you using, and which Mac? My MBP reads my 8gb PNY card fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.