Cracks in Macbook: covered by warranty?

Reaction score
I have a late 2008 white Macbook still covered by warranty. I have treated this laptop well, but it's developed a small crack at the top edge, screen side in the plastic, and at the bottom left where your left wrist sits. They're little slits of plastic that fall off.

Is this covered by warranty? Thanks you for any replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I am pretty sure that I have seen threads on here that state this is a known defect and Apple is taking care of it. You may want to do a search and find the specific thread that talks about it to be sure.

OP
Christopher
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the response JohnCL. Any idea how they would take care of it? Do i bring it in and they replace the whole enclosure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, it is definitely covered by the warranty. Just schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store and they'll take care of it. I took mine in a few months ago for the same problem and they replaced it in just 15 minutes. However, this was just the keyboard area. It might take a bit longer for you since you also have damage in top edge.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I had damage on the palm rest areas. They replaced the keyboards and track pad too. Took 45 minutes. It was pretty busy so it wasn't that bad.

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long this is good for? Is it only for those that are still under applecare? I've got an old 1.83 Core Duo mb that I bought a few months ago that has the same issue. I'll drop it off next time I'm close to an Apple store if they're covering it for all.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does anyone know how long this is good for? Is it only for those that are still under applecare? I've got an old 1.83 Core Duo mb that I bought a few months ago that has the same issue. I'll drop it off next time I'm close to an Apple store if they're covering it for all.

We had a thread a few days ago where I found a couple articles that said Apple was still repairing cracked cases on MacBooks even though the laptop no longer had Applecare on it.

So contact your local Apple store, and see what they say.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.