Intermittent error noise (funk default tone)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Every now and again getting the "funk" default error tone for no reason.
When this occurs, it sounds every 1-2 minutes.
The sound is the same one that you get when trying to push a button while there is an item on open waiting for you to click ok, or finish, etc

To hear the sound I am referring to, go to System/Library/Sounds/Funk.aiff

Would love a solution if anyone has one.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
ANYONE?
...I ran a hardware test, and went through all the troubleshooting methods in the sticky thread, as well as a clean install, as well as much googling, which found a few with similar issues, but no solutions.
I have no third party apps that mess with the operating system or hardware, other than SMC Fan Controller, which was installed after this error started occurring.
However, below is a list of all the installed 3rd party apps in case someone sees that one of these may be the cause:
AppCleaner, Carbon Copy Cloner, Firefox, Frostwire, LiveQuartz, MacTheRipper, Microsoft Messenger, Microsoft Office, Monolingual, Skype, SMC Fan Control, Toast Titanium, VLC, Vuze, WMV Player, Yahoo Messenger.
I know it doesn't have to be said, but any help would of course be much appreciated, as I have run out of ideas!

Reaction score
hi
i have the same issue. it's not really a problem, as the noise goes away after beeping a few times. but as there's no reason whatsoever why this should be happening, i'd also like to fix it. so if anyone has any idea what could be causing it, it'd be great to know.
cheers,
anya

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

When it happens, I'd have a look at Activity Monitor to find out what processes are running. That's likely to be your best shot at discovering whatever background process is responsible.

You might also note the exact time of the beeps and check the system logs to see if an error is reporting at that time.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the input chas_m
..... but when I look at activity monitor I only know the apps that I know I have. When I am seeing the other processes like mdworker etc, I don't know what they are, or what they are connected to. So, if there were a process that shouldn't be be running, I wouldn't know, unless CPU or memory was getting sucked dry so to speak.
As for Console, I wouldn't know what to look for or where, so I'd be scrolling through the left column and looking for anything that matched the exact time and date in all the different logs. LOL
Yes, I am lost when it comes to all that techie stuff, but I will note the time next time that funk sound comes up, and do my best to track down something.
I'm wondering, how long the process would stay in the Activity monitor window as it is such a quick sound..... However, I will take a snapshot of the window and post it anyway in hope that maybe there is something there that stands out to you as a possible cause for the alert sound.
Thanks
Kane

Reaction score
I am having same issue, I have a few custom things though. Growl, istatmenu, vmware, couple of growl plugins

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.