Unhappy first Mini-Mac experience

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Here I sit typing this on my ole sh!t box PC Argggggggggg

Purchased the Mini at noon Friday - 1.4ghz - had them add 512MB - picked it up at 6PM. Spent rest of day doing some errands and shopping for a flat panel monitor ---- finally ended up with a Samsung 17" SyncMaster 730B.

Finally got home --- 2hrs of major upheaval in the office area cleaning up moving PC to "temporary" spot -- making room for the "lil' guy.

Follow instructions on back of the little box ...... press the on button ...... Taaaaaadaaaaaaah the little speaker announces --- I'm pumped ----- hmmmmm screen remains black --- but I see a very faint apple symbol ---- fades away ----- I wait figuring the 'lil' guy is checking out new connections etc. ---- hmmm still black %&%$#$%

Now at this point I should say I'm already a bit miffed because I bought a DVI / VGA monitor .... but they only shipped a VGA cable %#*&^% --- so I'm forced to use the little VGA to DVI adaptor - *******s - this is just like the old days of buying a printer going home and finding no cable in the box !!!!!!!!!!!

So I plug in the analog monitor and .... a flicker of life ----- hmmmm seems like there's a bad connection here ---- so I apply pressure into the DVI conn. and viola theres the welcome screen ---- ok back to the flat panel --- apply pressure --- ahhh video ----- start going thru the menus ---- black screen --- jiggle --- wiggle ---- picture ---- more menus --- black screen ---- -----------------

And thats that no amount of jiggle - wiggle - pressure - does anything

&^%$*@#$%

So I figure either the litlle adapter is shot ..... or I've pushed the DVI connector back too far - deforming the motherboard a bit - or the constant make and break of the connector has blown the video chip outputs.

So I'll let the mini just idle where it is in the registration process over night - first thing in the AM I'll pick up a DVI cable and try a direct connection and go from there

I know this kind of crap can happen to any new system ...... just kind of disapointing after the big build up ........................ %&%$#%^&^

OP
E

etorres769

My didn't have any problems. I love it. Finally said goodbye to Windows forever I hope.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Well - found the problem - the DVI adaptor has a very subtle mechanism to screw itself into the mac chassis --- at first glance I thought these were squeeze / release type of mechanism ---- after some fidling - screwing in - video is stable and - looks good --------- DOH !!!!! :dummy:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
PC_Puke said:
Well - found the problem - the DVI adaptor has a very subtle mechanism to screw itself into the mac chassis --- at first glance I thought these were squeeze / release type of mechanism ---- after some fidling - screwing in - video is stable and - looks good --------- DOH !!!!! :dummy:

Opps! Yeah that Apple DVI to VGA Adapter uses nice rotating little drums that you spin with your thumb. Once I studied it a bit it was very nice and easy to use. Glad to hear it was just that and not a problem with the DVI connector on the motherboard!

Let us know how you like your Mini after you mess with it a bit.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Yep - nice design on the DVI adapter - I feel like a moron :dummy:

But the good news is I'm typing this in on the Mini --- haven't done much yet - but just on basic stuff it seems pretty snappy -- have to load up some pic and rip some CDs ---- Will up load a pic of the setup

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, for sure get that DVI cable. It will be worth it. That Samsung Flat Panel should look really good. My friend has the larger one and it's amazing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.