Sticky Notes

Reaction score
Hi, I had been using the app "Sticky Notes" more over a year.
Everything worked fine until right now.
I opened the app up to write something down but I noticed that ALL the notes I've written down are were reset, and gone.
Does anybody know whats going on?
I haven't reinstalled the app or anything.
This all happened overnight, it's crazy!!!
Please help anyone? I had some very important notes.. and I didn't save any of them because I never had a problem with it.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but if you don't have a time machine and/or external and/or off site (read Mozy, Carbonite, etc.) backup you are probably out of luck. I had a problem with Stickies once and had to restore from a backup. I think it was Snow Leopard and I can't recall the fill that stores that info off the top of my head.

If on the other hand, you have a backup it may be that you have backed up that information even if you didn't specifically know you were backing up the Stickies db. Looks like it is ~/Library/StickiesDatabase for SL (where StickiesDatbase is a file not a directory).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Great tip! I just added that file to my backup!

nkang5, did you find a backup?

Reaction score
Stickies Changed

Hi I have the same problem. Even with the time machine, you have a problem. The data seems to be saved in a file called widget-com.apple.widget.stickies.plist which seems to have replaced the StickiesDatabase file. When time machines replaces this file with an old one, and you logout and login again it has replaced the new file with the bad content again. There is some new Sync Feature which is likely the cause of everything.

Here are the steps to backing up from time machine.
1- Logout of your user and login again
2- Don't open the dashboard.
3- The file is in Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/widget-com.apple.widget.stickies.plist so move it (not copy) somewhere else. There is now no file of that name in the folder.
4- Go to time machine and pick the backup you want and restore. Probably look at filesize or take a date before the 1st of October when Apple probably made this mess.
5- Go to dashboard and you will see all your precious unreplaceable stuff again.
6- Don't ever trust a single point of failure like stickies again. I am copying them all to a text file and saving that. One nervous breakdown is enough! ;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The data seems to be saved in a file called widget-com.apple.widget.stickies.plist which seems to have replaced the StickiesDatabase file.

You didn't say under what OS that is. Snow Leopard, I presume? I have 10.5.8 which gives me a StickiesDatabase file.

Reaction score
The data seems to be saved in a file called widget-com.apple.widget.stickies.plist which seems to have replaced the StickiesDatabase file.

Are you talking about Stickies.app or Dashboard Sticky Notes? I'm running Snow Leopard and Stickies.app still stores its data in ~/Library/StickiesDatabase

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.