Macbook Pros...overall satisfaction?

Reaction score
I have been contemplating the purchase of a 13" MBP for the past 2 months, and was real excited about the prospect of getting one. However, my 18 month old iMac crashed just this week, which when combined with the fact that my iPhone crashed approximately 2 months ago, has made me somewhat hesitant to make the plunge. I decided to browse these forums, and it appears that there are quite a few threads related to various problems with the MBP.

Can you guys give me your thoughts regarding the overall quality of recent MBP's? I understand that forums will typically broadcast the problems associated with a product simply as a result of people looking for assistance.

So, are my concerns blown out of proportion? If so, is there any difference in the quality or build between the 13 and 15 inch MBP that would justify the difference in price?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The difference between the 13 and 15" would obviously be the size, and then the dedicated card. Everything else is the same.

It's not apple's fault if the HDD crashes. They use third party HDD just like every other computer manufacture. Do yourself a favor and use an external HDD with time machine.

That way if it does crash at least you have a copy of your HDD before it failed on you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
How exactly do they "crash?" What happens? Hard drive fail? If it's sturdiness and stiffness you are looking for, the 13" is better for the job...not saying that 15 is bad at all...but with notebooks in general...smaller = less parts to twist = better perceived build quality. 15" pwnz 13":)

OP
S
Reaction score
How exactly do they "crash?" What happens? Hard drive fail? If it's sturdiness and stiffness you are looking for, the 13" is better for the job...not saying that 15 is bad at all...but with notebooks in general...smaller = less parts to twist = better perceived build quality. 15" pwnz 13":)

My iPhone simply went white, and diagnostics at the Genius Bar could not figure out what went wrong. The jury is still out on my iMac as my local Apple Store is closed for renovations, but it will not even boot up with the install discs.

So it isn't the sturdiness of the build that concerns me, but the overall functioning of it. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Apple at all; I simply was looking to get feedback on the new MBP and if most people are satisfied with them.

Reaction score
I bought a new 15" MacBook Pro about 6 weeks ago (the 2.66 GHz one) and my brother recently bought a 13" Pro. There is absolutely no difference in build quality between the two -they both feel very solid and well built. I like the fact that the 15" actually has 'speakers' on the left and right of the keyboard but other than that there's not much in it.

It's been sweet since day one, I've not had any problems with it... it was worth every penny. The performance is great, to be fair though I've not really had to push it. I've watched the odd DVD and done some web design but other than that just browsing etc.

Good luck choosing :)

Reaction score
I agree with you that the "perception" of quality issues is probably over emphasized in a forum like this, because people come here for solutions to their problem(s).

Retailer website like amazon, bestbuy, et al with customer feedback will give a better idea of customer satisfaction. And, from what I've seen, all of the MacBook Pros are some of the highest rated computers on their respective sites.

I have never owned a Mac until ordering one last night :) I purchased a MacBook Pro 15" (2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD) and am extremely excited to get it. Like you, I was also considering the same spec'ed MBP 13" model. But for me, the extra screen real estate was worth the extra $200. Interestingly, I stopped by a local retailer to compare the screens of all three MBPs. The jump in size from 13" to 15" was very dramatic (more dramatic than the jump in size from 15" to 17") -- at least to my eyes.

Plus, I have read that the speakers on the 15" are considerably better than the ones on the 13".

While some may argue the 13" is more portable, I would rather have a big beautiful screen + 1 lbs. of extra heft (5.5 lbs. vs. 4.5 lbs.) than a smaller (albeit beautiful) screen. Comparing the 15" MBP to my current laptop, it is soooo thin and sleek.

My Mac is going to be my creative center (video & photo editing and presentation) and screen size is important to me.

Good luck in your decision!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
For a simpler answer, i have a 13" Pro, just bought it 3 months ago, use it for school, its the best computer ive ever had, its fast, technology is top of the line, and the multitouch mousepad is awesome, every time i mess with someones HP, Compaq etc. i am truly dissapointed. Battery life is also great, use it all day at school without charging.....Personally i would say go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
Although I have a different Gen MBP, I can say that I've had ZERO problems with my computer of the course of 3 years. And I've used it for just about everything you can imagine. Video editing, photo editing, web design, music, and everything in-between. I take it to class nearly every day and just throw it in my back-pack. I hate to tell you this, but I really think your experience is isolated and I really don't think it will happen again.

Good luck with your decision.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that was the reassurance I needed. I guess my only decision now is if I want to splurge on the 15"!

Your responses are what make this forum the best around!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 - 2.26 C2D - 9400m - 2gb RAM - 500gb 7200.4 Seagate
Thanks guys, that was the reassurance I needed. I guess my only decision now is if I want to splurge on the 15"!

What do you plan on using it for? If your going to be taking it around with you a lot or using it in odd places like school desks or tiny coffee shop tables and the like, the 13" is most likely a better choice due to the small size.

But if your doing something like photo editing and don't have an external monitor the larger screen size could be a big plus.

And build quality wise, even though I haven't had it that amazingly long it seems solid as a rock hardware wise and I really think I could use it as a weapon and it'd still work with the aluminum case ;D

OP
S
Reaction score
What do you plan on using it for? If your going to be taking it around with you a lot or using it in odd places like school desks or tiny coffee shop tables and the like, the 13" is most likely a better choice due to the small size.

But if your doing something like photo editing and don't have an external monitor the larger screen size could be a big plus.

And build quality wise, even though I haven't had it that amazingly long it seems solid as a rock hardware wise and I really think I could use it as a weapon and it'd still work with the aluminum case ;D

I elected to go with the 13", as I will use it primarily for PowerPoint presentations for seminars, so a large screen isn't necessary. The final deciding factor was the extra $100 that the AppleCare cost for the 15".

I ordered it last night...now the seemingly eternal wait begins!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 - 2.26 C2D - 9400m - 2gb RAM - 500gb 7200.4 Seagate
Beyond being cheaper, if your going to be doing presentations... The screen on the 13" doesn't stick up as high in the air so it's easier to see over if you have it up on a podium or the like.

Enjoy your new toy :D

Reaction score
lug it!!! came over from p.c. a month ago and ain't going back. this thing is very slick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
dont forget to tell us wat u think about ur purchase, hope u luv it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.