Purple and green lines showing on display at random times

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to Mac and this forum. I have owned a macbook for around two months now and my display, all of a sudden, is now showing purple and green lines at random times. The only two things I have done is installed Vista using Boot Camp and upgraded to Snow Leopard when it came out. It started this problem after upgrading to Snow Leopard. This issue exists running Mac or Vista. I have looked on the forum and I really didn't find this specific problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
skipriffe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is it a new macbook or second hand?

OP
S
Reaction score
This MacBook was purchased new from an Apple Store in late Aug/early Sept. of this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Being only 2months old, take it back to apple for repair/replacement!
Faulty graphics card (graphics chip)!

OP
S
Reaction score
Returning it to the Apple Store is what I was thinking. Since it only occurs at random, my luck would be it wouldn't do it for them!

Thanks for your input. I will attempt to get a screen shot and post it so you can see.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a common problem when there is a faulty graphics card/chip, and if you get a screen shot.... it would certainly help as well with apple I'm sure!

Returning it to the Apple Store is what I was thinking. Since it only occurs at random, my luck would be it wouldn't do it for them!

Thanks for your input. I will attempt to get a screen shot and post it so you can see.

Thanks again.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey 6string, here's a screenshot of my video problem

I'm the one with the purple and green lines problem. Take a look.

Thanks,
skipriffe

video issue screen shot.jpg

video video issue.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

There is nothing wrong with those screen captures.
If the lines were showing on the screen during the capture, that would lead me to believe it is a screen issue rather than GPU.
But, it doesn't really matter which it is. You need to take it in to Apple and let them fix it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the thought bobtomay. This problem is frustrating. My MacBook is not even 2 months old yet! I will definitely take it back to an Apple Store.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you've got any sort of camera - take a couple of shots to show them when you take it in.

OP
S
Reaction score
I took some shots with my iphone. Btw, these purple and green lines glimmer and then start getting static. Very annoying! Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.