the underlying task reported failure on exit

Reaction score
hi, can someone please help me. i've been on google for weeks trying to figure this out and i finally got smart and decided to join mac-forums.. but anyways, my macbook (may 07) was dropped a few months ago and i finally got the money to buy a new hard drive. i put the new hard drive in and used my friends install disc to try and install mac osx because mine is nowhere to be found. she has a brand new macbook pro and is running leopard, i was running tiger before my macbook was dropped. my macbook recognizes my hard drive but everytime i try and install it "the underlying task reported failure on exit" pops up. please help!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Have you formatted it properly to be ready to install OS X on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Presumably the install disc is a generic Leopard DVD? If not it will be specific to her machine and will not work on yours.
As ImageX said, you need to be correctly formatted too.
You will be able to format from your friends discs, using disc utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.