virtual...

D

daveo

gday..
I'm thinking about virtual pc for my ibook G4.
Would it slow down my whole mac?
Is it anygood? adv. and disadv.

if you can halp me out that would be much appreciated
thanks,
daveo

OP
M

meltbanana314

What are you trying to run? Have you checked to see if there is a version (or equivalent program) for OS X?

Virtual PC is known for being very slow (and somewhat buggy) making it very difficult to use your Windows programs without a hassle.

OP
O

otopico

It will be slow, but most older windows apps should run. Just don't expect either it or your mac to be very fast while you are running vPC.

I use vPC nearly everyday. It isn't great, but it works well enough to not need a 'real' pc around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
OP
E

Ey3 D

You can only run it on a G5 or you will lag and get bugs so much, there is no point in even getting it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Ey3 D said:
You can only run it on a G5 or you will lag and get bugs so much, there is no point in even getting it.

This really isn't true. The application is not particularly good (though for some it serves its purpose acceptably), but it is definitely not "G5 only".

OP
C

Colin Barnhorst

VPC emulates a PC, including the cpu (unlike its Windows cousin which has a real x86 cpu to work with).

It puts a heavy load on the Apple processor. It is not suitable for any but earlier games. It is best for business apps that don't require special hardware addons.

Only allocate the ram actually needed to run your apps because the more ram you allocate the slower VPC will run Windows and the slower you Apple programs will run. Of course there is no performance hit for just installing VPC; you only see the performance hit when VPC is running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.