Putting a Mac OS on an external hard drive for use on a windows laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey, So I'm new to this whole forum thing and don't quite know if what I'm doing is right. I was just wondering if anyone could answer this question for me:

is it possible to install a Mac OS, like Leopard, onto an external hard drive in a way that you can use the OS on a Dell laptop which already has windows xp installed on it?

I'm going to be going away for a couple of months and really can't live without my mac but it's a desktop and I can't afford to buy a laptop just for a couple of months. So I was hoping that I could have the best of both worlds and somehow have a whole OS on an external hard drive.

Maybe it's a really stupid question but if it's possible I'd be really appreciative of any help on how to go about doing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That would be creating a Hackintosh (OSX on a non Apple computer)

That subject is against the OSX EULA, so cannot be discussed on the forum for legal reasons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
But essentially, no, you can't do it.

It's **** near impossible to create a hackintosh with just any pc. You have to be pretty specific with the hardware selection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
You can turn a flash drive into an install disk, like I've heard that Apple did with the developer copies of SL given out at this year's WWDC. But yes, a flash drive with OS X installed (if it's not made by Apple) would definitely be against the OS X end user license agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.