Wireless network troubles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini, iPhone 4, iPods, Seagate 1TB HDD
From time to time, usually after I wake up my computer it doesn't want to connect to the internet. It claims it connects to the network (via Airport) but says it can't connect to the internet. I can sign on xBox, my room mate can get on the wireless network and internet, but I cannot until I reset the modem and then it works after the modem reboots. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue.

I have a 4-year-old iBook G4 Power PC (running 10.4.11) and an Airport Express purchased at the same time using WPA2 with DSL and a Westell modem. DHCP is enabled. I've never had a problem until now and this problem did not seem to correspond with any software patches.

When the Mac is awakened from sleep it can see the network and joins automatically, but cannot get anywhere on the Internet. If you try to go to Google Firefox just says "Looking up www.google.com..." and never connects...eventually getting a network timeout message. Same results with Safari and Opera. During this time my old WinXP desktop can connect and browse the Internet fine, ditto the Ubuntu Hardy laptop and brand new 32GB iPod Touch.

Running Network Diagnostics yields nice green lights on Built-in Ethernet, Network Settings, and ISP, but gives me ugly red lights on Internet and Server.

Interestingly, if I'm online with the Ubuntu laptop when the Mac is awakened from sleep it causes Internet connectivity problems for the Ubuntu laptop as well as the Mac's usual issue.

Workarounds have been spotty but the best results are achieved by unplugging the power cord on the Westell modem, then plugging it back in. Other tactics that occasionally work, but with no predictable consistency, are opening Mail and after it fails to connect, right-clicking on the error icon and saying "Go Online". I've even gotten it to work by opening iTunes and connecting to the iTunes Store, although this is unusual.

Any hints as to what's going on here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
check DNS settings on your iBook. Enter the DNS addresses from your router into the Network settings to see if it helps it find them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also, if you have SSID broadcast turned off, try turning it on.

Reaction score
What's strange about my situation is that I can be working fine, close the lid and put the iBook to sleep (takes a couple of seconds). When I open it back up, even if I only wait 5 seconds, the iBook can no longer get to the very webpage that it was on only seconds before. Length of time is irrelevant.

Again, it sees the network/airport and Network Diagnostics says it can see my ISP.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. It's like the internet in pulsing.
EX: Youtube. It will upload super fast and load very fast half then very slow to almost no loading the rest of the video. Every site randomly opens fast one second then very slow to none the next. Any ideas? Cause both my room mates (who have pc's) have no problems like this. They load everything consistently fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
try OpenDNS: use these DNS addresses instead: 208.67.222.222 as the primary DNS and 208.67.220.220 as the alternate to see if that helps.

Reaction score
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, do i plug those codes into the URL. Sorry you gotta use baby steps for me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry - got to System Preferences, then Network, Airport, Advanced..., then find the DNS tab. you may see the servers assigned by your ISP. Hit the plus sign to add those in.

Reaction score
Alright i added those under the original ISP numbers. Anything else i should do? Restart computer, or just reopen Safari etc. ?

By the way thank you for helping me out so far!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NP - I'd reboot.

Reaction score
ok so i turned off the computer and turned it back on. Internet still seems a bit slow. Hmmm

OP
Apple4life
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini, iPhone 4, iPods, Seagate 1TB HDD
I just started using an older Airport Express and it works flawlessly. My iPhone connects automatically, my Mini stays connected. Works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Covered some selected area in a Wireless network thus modem to direct connect a router thus we will not be a updated driver for wireless adapter network so create a problem in it thus we will be take a security which protect a wireless network.

what? :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.