Just switched last night!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook, 8 gig ipod
Hey everyone, I just switched last night and like it a lot. Runs real smooth opposed to PC and still getting use to it.

Anyway, how would I go about sprucing up the background and customizing the widgets?

Reaction score
To change the background image, right-click the desktop and select "Change Desktop Background."

To customize the dashboard, press the + in the lower left corner when looking at the dashboard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey everyone, I just switched last night and like it a lot. Runs real smooth opposed to PC and still getting use to it.

Anyway, how would I go about sprucing up the background and customizing the widgets?

Go to your "System Preferences" (under the Apple drop down menu)...to use a "Windows Reference"...you will find many "Control Panel" like mini-programs there to make all sorts of settings & interface adjustments.

For what it's worth...the term "Control Panel" has been part of the Mac OS since 1984...and was probably "borrowed & used" when the first versions of the Windows OS were written & released in the mid to late 80's.

So really the term "Control Panel" was first used with the Mac OS...not Windows.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Wow, I didn't know about the origins of the term "Control Panel".

You can also download hundreds of widgets from apple.com. Go to Downloads > All Downloads > Widgets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
For what it's worth...the term "Control Panel" has been part of the Mac OS since 1984...and was probably "borrowed & used" when the first versions of the Windows OS were written & released in the mid to late 80's.

So really the term "Control Panel" was first used with the Mac OS...not Windows.:)

- Nick

A lot more than just that term was "borrowed and used" from Apple by Microsoft. Do some research, I have no intention of starting yet another MS vs. Apple debate.

@air max95 - Grats on your new Mac. There are many widgets you can get as described by S.SubZero and many backgrounds etc. you can find. There are some on the Apple site - Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X - Icons, Screensavers, etc.

Reaction score

- Nick

If Steve had not made that deal with MS...windows would still look like 3.1;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A lot more than just that term was "borrowed and used" from Apple by Microsoft. Do some research, I have no intention of starting yet another MS vs. Apple debate.

Yes there was definitely a lot of "borrowing" going on when Windows was first being written. And it was definitely not my intention to start a Mac vs. Windows debate!:)

Just like to throw a little "Macintosh History" out there every now & then when I get the chance. ;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.