Mac HT question

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, and therefore I was looking into making my old white MacBook into a home theater computer so I can watch all of my movies and TV shows stored on my external hard drives with Plex. This brings me to my two questions:
Is it possible to change the settings on my MacBook so It is able to run with the screen closed?
I would like to connect my laptop directly to my receiver. If I used an audio interface such as an M-Audio Fast Track Pro (I have one laying around), could I connect the S/PDIF output on the interface to the receiver, would it be 5.1?

Thanks,
Devon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hope this helps .... I have a White MacBook and i am forever watching my EyeTV Elegato and movies with the screen down and closed away. I sit at home on-line through the day with my MacBook whilst watching the TV on my TV all run through the Mac. All i do is Detect other displays and turn off mirroring. Then when im shutting down for the night close the screen and the other monitor ( My TV) acts as the MacBook screen and i can use it as a computer.
Once its up i just use my Apple remote to do the Movie/TV functions.
Hope this make sense. Painkillers have kicked in and a little woosie ... lol

As for the other tech ?'s i cant help you

Cheers
Ohh and welcome to the forum. If i cant help you there will be someone that probably can. Such a invaluable place to be, and its not just anything goes in anything goes
Not just anything goes in anything goes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.