Do I need to upgrade to a desktop?

Reaction score
I've got a 17" Macbookpro 4/320gb/4gb ram/7200rpm/2.5ghz running on snow leopard. Bought it in late 2008.
I'm having some serious clocking and slowness issues lately and I'm wondering if I need a faster computer or just more ram.
I use the laptop primarily for editing photos in Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop. I shoot in raw so I'm working with photos that are huge in size (5600px X 3800px / 30m-80m per image)
I also design large albums and books so often have multiple images open at the same time. My Lightroom catalogue can have up to 40,000 images in it at one time so pretty heavy. What I'm getting is a lot of delays when working with these applications, and even when just working with safari......lots of watching the spinwheel on the screen and waiting...wasting major time.....I often have multiple applications open like safari, apple mail, itunes, photoshop, lightroom, numbers & pages, etc. I've ran a few cleaning apps but have seen very little change.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 8gb ram but I'm wondering if that will help?
Perhaps my laptop cpu isnt enough for what I'm doing. Maybe I need to be working off a Mac Pro instead of a laptop...? Was looking at the 8 core and would love to have 16gb of ram. Is it worth it? I do work with a bit of video as well, but not often.

any thoughts? suggestions? is the 6K pricetag for a 8 core pro and hd screen worth it for what I'm using it for?

any input would be appreciated!
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How full is your hard drive?...if it's like 80-90% full, that will slow things down.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
I think that 8GB of RAM would be suitable for your situation. 16 might be a bit of overkill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 13" 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 750 GB HDD
Personally, if I was doing that much editing I would buy a Mac pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another vote for the Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Personally, if I was doing that much editing I would buy a Mac pro.

Yes. Unless you desperately need the portability of a notebook, go all out for the Mac Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.