Can't apply read/write permissions to 'enclosed items'

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a macbook pro yesterday after being a lifelong user of windows. I had all my documents copied to DVD, then copied them off that into my Documents folder on the macbook. My issue is, *every* file and folder has read permissions only. I am able to change the permissions to read/write for each file or folder individually, but I am unable to apply it to both the folder and its contents because the 'apply to enclosed items' option is shaded and I can't click it.

Why can I apply read/write permissions to a folder but not its contents all at once? It's extremely inconvenient to have to apply the permission one by one to all 500 of my files. It's ridiculous considering in XP I was able to just 'apply changes to folder contents'.

Thanks guys =)

Newbie Mac user

Reaction score
Look to bottom right of "get-info-windows" and you will see the yelllow locked padlock. Click on it, and message "Type your password to allow Finder to make changes" will appear. So you must type your password. But you must have the appropriate privileges for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.