Time capsule problem!

Reaction score
My time capsule is great and gives me a fast and stable connection but theres one problem...

Every time I turn my macbook on, it will not connect to the internet. :Grimmace:

To get it to connect I have to plug out my MODEM (not time capsule) then plug it back in again and everything works perfectly. :Smirk:

However, I would like a fix for this and it gets very irritating plugging my modem in and out every morning. :Angry-Tongue:

I don't know whether it's my macbook, modem or time capsule that needs fixing. O:)

Any advice greatly appreciated. :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Not having too many specifics, it sounds like after long periods of inactivity the connection between you and your ISP is timing out or going into an inactive state. What sort of connection with your ISP are you using, PPPoE, Ethernet?

Also, I would ask your ISP about compatibility with 3rd party routers and whether or not they have seen any issues with Apple's TimeCapsule. Have you always used a TimeCapsule with this ISP or did you switch from using a different router at some point?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Also, when your Macbook gets into this state, is TimeCapsule reporting any sort of error? Next time the connection gets like this, open up the AirPort Utility and see what TimeCapsule is saying about your Internet Connection. If you are having issues, the light on the front of the device should be amber and the AirPort Utility should be giving you some sort of indication as to what the issue might be.

OP
drummerkid1993
Reaction score
My ISP is Virgin Media (UK) A cable connection giving me 20mbps DL.
I used to have a Belkin router as my main base station and this didn't happen. I don't know if I have PPPoE or ethernet, what does that mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you didn't configure anything and based on your download speeds then you probably don't have PPPoE (a specific network protocol for moving point to point frames over ethernet).

I would contact Virgin Media and ask them about TC compatibility and whether or not they disconnect idle devices after a specific period of time. Also, as I posted above, when your macbook gets into the state, use the Airport Utility to determine if the device is reporting any sort of error.

Is this a condition you can reproduce on your own by closing your MacBook for a few minutes and then opening it or is it just something that happens after longs periods of time?

OP
drummerkid1993
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I will give them a ring tomorrow after I check airport utility tomorrow morning.

It stays connected fine when I shut it for a couple of hours it's just when it's left off overnight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting.

I am US based so I don't have specific experience with this ISP, but based on what you are describing it certainly seems as if either the TC or your ISP is losing the connection after long periods of inactivity. Since you weren't having issues with your previous router, it may be an incompatibility Virgin can help you with your TC settings and your modem or maybe a modem firmware update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.