Show list of running programs

J

jessica

In windows you can hit control+alt+delete and show a list of all running programs. What is the command in OSX Panther to do this?
I need to force quit something in my menu bar and I can't seem to do this by right clicking.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Do a command - option - esc to bring a force quit application. From there you may be able to terminate the program.

OP
J

jessica

Unfortunately that did not bring up this "uptime" thing in the menu bar. I think I'll uninstall it.
Thanks!

OP
N

nbn22385

You can also force quit through Activity Monitor in your Applications>Utilities folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
you can also run Activity Monitor, and see all sorts of information about active processes.

or for the UNIX-ly inclined:

ps (and its many options you can find in the man page)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can also use the top command to get more information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I just keep the Activity Monitor running in the dock. Pull up & show the Activity Monitor when necessary and set it to show Active processes. You can quit process from there.
Have fun

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

MacAddikt said:
you can also run Activity Monitor, and see all sorts of information about active processes.

or for the UNIX-ly inclined:

ps (and its many options you can find in the man page)

this is the best way as for it shows EVERY THING running

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
jessica said:
Unfortunately that did not bring up this "uptime" thing in the menu bar. I think I'll uninstall it.
Thanks!

Menulets don't really count as applications...I think they're drawn by SystemUIServer or something.

Apple officially disapproves of menulets, other than its own. There's no "official" way for third parties to create them. This is probably either a symptom or a justification for that policy.

OP
J

jessica

technologist said:
Menulets don't really count as applications...I think they're drawn by SystemUIServer or something.

Apple officially disapproves of menulets, other than its own. There's no "official" way for third parties to create them. This is probably either a symptom or a justification for that policy.

Really? There are so many menulets out there though! I LOVE synergy!!! And a reboot fixed my issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The terminal top command is best. If you wanna stop one (looking at the CPU usage if it's insanely high is good cause to abort) use the kill -PID- where PID = process ID number (no dashes) kill PID -9 is absolute

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.