Virus With Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.4ghz, 4Gb Ram, 250gb hdd
Hi there,
Thanks In Advance For Any Help:

I need to run software called FL Studio, I was thinking of using boot camp and xp but was wondering if i need virus protection in windows if i turn airport off whilst in windows and only use one piece of software that doesnt use the internet?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you're not using the Internet in any way while you are running your Mac under Windows, the chances of getting a virus or any type of malware are slim to none. The only thing you have to look out for is if you use discs from external parties. Commercial software discs are generally pretty safe, but anything burnt is a potential liability.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.4ghz, 4Gb Ram, 250gb hdd
I didnt think of that!
I May have to buy a c just for this software, i just love my mac so much i dnt want it to break!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
I'm in the same position.
I need windows for one application only (Pinnacle Studio, which won't run on OS X)

I used boot camp, installed XP (sp2) on the partition and immediately disabled all network connections/bluetooth - anything which could connect Windows to the outside world.

Then I installed the progam I wanted. This was over 9 months ago and it's all been fine ever since.

The only headache was having to register/activate XP (and Pinnacle) by phone, instead of online. Mobile call in the UK was nearly £12.

Hope it goes well. CB6

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in the same position.
I need windows for one application only (Pinnacle Studio, which won't run on OS X)

I used boot camp, installed XP (sp2) on the partition and immediately disabled all network connections/bluetooth - anything which could connect Windows to the outside world.

Then I installed the progam I wanted. This was over 9 months ago and it's all been fine ever since.

The only headache was having to register/activate XP (and Pinnacle) by phone, instead of online. Mobile call in the UK was nearly £12.

Hope it goes well. CB6

I own Pinnacle Studio as well, but I find it greatly outclassed by iMovie. Have you tried it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
What about Wine? Couldn't that allow you to run the windows program right in Mac OS X (or am I missing something?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
What about Wine? Couldn't that allow you to run the windows program right in Mac OS X (or am I missing something?)

Wine is usually hit or miss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Pardon? What do you mean by that?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ever tried it? WINE is hit or miss with fully OS-compliant programs developed in high-level languages. A virus has little chance of being executed and actually doing something outside of the sandbox of the virtualized file system that WINE uses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
I own Pinnacle Studio as well, but I find it greatly outclassed by iMovie. Have you tried it?

No, never tried iMovie. But have used countless others over the years and I still think Pinnacle Studio is a top application.

I have Final Cut Express on my Macbook and we use Final Cut Pro at work. FCP is the industry standard. But I always do my first few sessions of chopping/cutting/arranging etc (basic layout) in Pinnacle Studio (current version is 12, I think).

I'm not fighting a corner in the Avid vs Adobe vs FCP debate - but Pinnacle Studio is still my tool of choice. It's an amazing package for the price.

However (don't want to hijack your thread, here) I'm interested in the discussion re Wine (or similar). I hate having to run a full OS separately just to run one program!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.