Snow Leopard...but no Windows!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi All

Yesterday, I finally upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard and I was surprised at how smooth the transition was. I knew beforehand that my Parallels installation would no longer work, unless I upgraded to version 4.

However, I did think that I would still be able to boot into windows at the start up, as windows was installed through bootcamp, but when the system boots up the screen goes black with the message:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. please reinstall a copy of the above file".

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Philip

Reaction score
Repairing windows

You can boot off the Windows XP CD (press C at bootup), then select the Recovery Console and copy hal.dll off the CD (assuming D: is the CD-Drive):

e.g.
Copy D: \i386\hal.dll C: \Windows\system32

or if its compressed
Expand D: \i386\hal.dl_ C: \windows\system32\hal.dll

Enter exit to restart

(remove space between the colon and slash)

OP
Darker Times
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Thanks for the replies, however I am still slightly stuck.

I inserted the XP cd and rebooted the iMac. I held down the alt key and was given three choices - OSX, XP, or the windows cd. I chose the cd and it then started to go into the windows setup - installing drivers etc. I stopped the installation as I thought I would be given the option to repair from the XP disc?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Philip

Reaction score
No, it is not installing any drivers, it is loading basic drivers into memory only for it to be ready to install or repair. Try it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.