Does Bootcamp use PowerPC binaries?

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a MacBook Pro 17 inch with Intel Core Duo (NOT INTEL CORE 2 DUO). It's the one with a completely silver casing not the newest MacBook Pros. I have Bootcamp installed and am using the Vista operating system in the partition. I am trying to make OS X run faster without deleting the Windows partition. I have downloaded a program called CleanMyMac and it can delete PowerPC universal binaries. The program can remove the unnecessary code from FAT binaries and make applications load faster.

Here's the full description: Universal binaries were compiled both for Intel and PowerPc architectures. But on your Mac, you only use one architecture code, and there is code that never gets executed and is wasting your disk space. CleanMyMac can automatically remove the unnecessary code from FAT binaries and make your applications load faster.

I figured since I have Vista installed on Bootcamp will deleting the PowerPC binaries make Windows unfunctionable? And does deleting the PowerPC binaries effect OS X?

If anybody knows the answer that would be great! Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Bootcamp does not use PowerPC code, it will only run on Intel macs

OP
W
Reaction score
So If I delete the PowerPC binaries then BootCamp (with Vista installed) will run without any problems?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you boot into the separate Windows partition, it uses nothing, zip, zero, nada, zilch that is contained in your OS X partition.

As to playing around with the system files in your OS X partition is a good idea or not is another question altogether.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why do you want to delete the PPC binaries and code? You're not going to save all that much space by doing so, and the PPC code does not slow you down even though you're on an Intel machine.

Anyway, if you don't like the PPC code or binaries, just upgrade to Snow Leopard. No PPC code or binaries.... :)

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Just to improve my Mac's performance. I am going to get Snow Leapord soon. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.