Installing OS from Hard Drive, discs, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
OK

I have a mbp 1.83 15" core duo and can't find the tiger discs from moving.

I have a mbp 2.26 13" core2duo and lost the leopard discs from moving.
And forgot the password.

I downloaded a leopard dmg file and put it on a hard drive and I was able to install leopard on my 15" mbp with no issues. I used start up disc, then restore.

Now when I try to install leopard on the 13" mbp by holding down option when restarting, the hard drive does show up alongside the internal harddrive, but when I click on the external harddrive it just freezes.

I've also tried using disk utility to make a bootable disc with my 15" mbp, but don't have a dual layer burner, so I can't put the 6.6 gb file on one dvd.

Do I have any other options? Besides buying an external dl burner, or buying another copy of Leopard.

I'm gonna try to do it on my pc, but if that doesn't work I need more opinions!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I downloaded a leopard dmg file and put it on a hard drive and I was able to install leopard on my 15" mbp with no issues. I used start up disc, then restore.

Do I have any other options? Besides buying an external dl burner, or buying another copy of Leopard.

I'm gonna try to do it on my pc, but if that doesn't work I need more opinions!

If you downloaded a copy of Leopard & installed it...that's software piracy! And that sort of thing is not appreciated here!

Trying to install Leopard on a "PC" is not tolerated either!!

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I already paid for both op systems, I'm just getting them back. I'm not installing on a pc, transfering the dmg to iso file to pc, to try to make a bootable disc to work on the mac.

If I lost an install cd from any other company, they'd be able to mail me a copy, or have links on their site to download.

I'm not supporting Apple by buying another copy I don't need to buy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry, no help here with pirated software.

If you contact Apple Parts, they can supply you with replacement system discs. As I understand it, they run around $40 for the set. But then you have the diagnostic tools and the iLife suite for both machines.

It's not Apple's fault that you lost your discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.