Safari/Flash Crashes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D | 2.66 GHz | 2GB RAM | 300GB HDD | OSX 10.6.2
It seems, since I've upgraded to Snow Leopard, that Safari and Firefox crash often.

Apparently the crashes occur when Flash is being used (watching Hulu or whatever). Is anyone having this problem?

Also, has anyone noticed Safari and Firefox lag often (including and not including Flash usage)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I usually use Opera 10 (except I use Safari for printing web pages, it's better). However, I haven't noticed anything since upgrading to SL. My dad hasn't either.
Are you running the 64 or 32 bit kernel?

OP
Unit134679
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What don't know what you mean by "running the 64 or 32 bit kernel." I understand the difference but I don't know how to choose to run one or the other.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What don't know what you mean by "running the 64 or 32 bit kernel." I understand the difference but I don't know how to choose to run one or the other.

If you don't know, then chances are you are booting up in 32 bits, which is the default. You don't need to really worry about this anyways.

Did you update your flash player? The newest one out is Flash 10, I believe.

OP
Unit134679
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
activity monitor says Safari is 64bit, so I guess its 64. however flashplayer & firefox is 32bit (says activity monitor).

i have the latest version of Flash, yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Hello,

I have the same exact problem. My Safari/Firefox crashes when I'm loading another site in one tab while Hulu is playing in another tab...

You're running under 32-bit kernel mode by the way. Only the MacPro and XServe will run 64-bit kernel mode by default.

You are however running Safari in 64-bit mode. There isn't a solution yet, but I found running Safari under 32-bit mode was slightly "better." Safari wouldn't crash completely, but instead "hang" and show the "rainbow wheel" mouse cursor until everything finally loads.

You can do this by going under the "Applications" folder and selecting Safari. Go to File--> Get Info and under "General" there's an option for "Open in 32-bit mode"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.