Audio Out Port Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
My White MacBook has a problem with it's earphone port. I have to hold my cables in place, the slightest movement can cause the audio to play through my internal speakers and not what's connected to the cable. It does this with every cable I've tried. What's going on here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Sounds to me like a loose audio port. I'm not sure if this is the issue, but if it is, I'm also not sure how much it would cost to replace because you may have to replace the whole logic board. Good luck.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple replaced the Logic Board when I first got the machine because of a problem where the audio would not play through internal speakers at all. I can't believe this one is defective as well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it's not necessarily defective, just used and became loose. The jack connected to the logic board on the inside could have become loose from frequent use or even a slight amount of tension or weight being put on the jack causing strain over a period of time.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So then why would the entire board need replacing if its just that one connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said, I'm not sure but most times those components are soldered to the board and either need to be replaced or very precisely re-soldered. If you're feeling frisky, maybe you can open it up and try to see if you are capable of repairing it. First off, I would bring it in to Apple if your care plan is still active and see if they can check it out without a fee. Just to make sure that is the issue before you go tearing your Mac apart.

OP
iPod Nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it is warrantied until Dec. 3rd so I've got some time. After that, I pray that I don't have any more of these problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.