Updating Classic in 10.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power PC G4 Sawtooth 1 GHz OSX 10.3.9 / PowerBook Pro 2.33 GHz OSX 10.6.1
Starting when I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3 on my Mac G4, every time I boot or try to open an OS9 app, Classic fails to boot. The error message is: "There is a problem with updating the Classic-specific files. Classic was unable to update its files in System Folder on MacHD."

I don't understand the implications. Can anyone suggest a way to work thru or around this error so I can occasionally use an older app or peripheral that requires OS9?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When OS X was originally installed, it was necessary OS 9 drivers were installed during the format of the drive. Can you remember doing this or if you did and have installed 9.1, or later, can you access the System Folder?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Classic - Updating Classic in 10.3

Yes, I can access the System Folder. OS9 was installed originally with an earlier version of OS10, and Classic was functioning properly when I was running 10.2 prior to the upgrade to 10.3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You did install Panther as an upgrade and not a clean install? Sometimes upgrading presents unusual bugs. Haver you thought of formatting the drive, installing Panther and Classic again?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Classic - Updating Classic in 10.3

It has occurred to me that may be one way to solve the problem, but it seemed like stab in the dark. If as you suggest there is a strong probability that it was some glitch that occurred during upgrading, then perhaps I'll try to find some time to reformat and reinstall OS 10.3. I don't recall whether the install disk comes with Classic.

If that doesn't work, would it be an option to just install OS9.2 on a separate drive or partition and simply reboot to it when I need it?

Reaction score
In the OS X installer window theres a check box that says install OS 9 drivers. Did you check the box on the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Partition or an additional slave drive would be the go and personally favour a small second drive, say of about 40GB. Set it to slave, mount it over your current drive on the caddy and just connect to the additional IDE connector.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.