Sound Problems in Windows

Reaction score
I recently installed Windows XP on my Macbook Pro with BootCamp, but I noticed that the sound coming out of the speakers is a lot quieter and more tinny than on OS X. I also experienced a lot of stuttering issues in games such as Oblivion even with low settings. I think there is something wrong with the sound driver, is there anywhere I can download a newer one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
Did you put in your Leopard/Snow Leopard disc and install the drivers when you put XP on the computer? If you did, there should be a "Bootcamp Update" or something like that in the programs section of XP, and that will update drivers. If that doesn't work, then try re-installing them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Did you put in your Leopard/Snow Leopard disc and install the drivers when you put XP on the computer? If you did, there should be a "Bootcamp Update" or something like that in the programs section of XP, and that will update drivers. If that doesn't work, then try re-installing them...

Hello there!

Many of us are having the same problem and have been since earlier this year when Apple began shipping macbook pros with the Cirrus logic sound board (microphone and speakers). There is a large forum here:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Very Poor Volume Output - Windows XP ...

With a solution to get the speakers working in good order again (it's a custom driver) but the internal microphone is still non-functional. The best thing you can do at this point is take about 30 minutes to call and complain to apple. I've done so almost every week since August. It's ridiculous that they haven't fixed this yet. It's because of this negligence that I will probably purchase and ubuntu laptop from system76 next time. I might be harsh, but there is honestly no reason for it. The only thing I can figure is that Cirrus is responsible for the drivers and has failed miserably on that front. Either way, Apple needs to step up.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP UNI C2D 2.53 4gb
the stuttering in game is most likely because of the bootcamp program that runs in windows. if you turn it off in the start up items it should stop. the only problem is you will lose your keyboard shortcuts until its started again. it stopped the stuttering for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.