Reaction score
would the hardware test on
Leopard install dvd work with my Imac G4 Model M6498
and would i be able to boot off of the disc
i currently do not have an osx installed on the machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it will help enormously if you tell us about your iMac. Leopard requires at least an 867MHz processor, but 1GHz is much better and at least 1GB memory.

If the machine meets those specs, and the Firmware has been updated to run any version of OS X and the Leopard disc is a full retail version and not one supplied with another model, yes.

However .. after researching Mactracker, the model number 6498 is for the 700MHz model so the answer is therefor no, Leopard will not run nor install on the machine. The latest OS is Tiger OS X.4.11 and you would need to look for the black coloured full install DVD. Also see this post which is similar:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/171771-osx-10-2-a.html

OP
P
Reaction score
the imac g4
has a 1 ghz processor in it.
and 768 mb of ram

i am mostly wondering if the leopard OSX has an apple hardware test on it.
and i can i run the hardware test before i install the osx
like right when i insert the disc and reboot at the beginning by holding down D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No. Apple Hardware Test normally comes with the original install discs supplied wth the computer when brand new. Go to this link and download the iMac Apple Hardware Test, number three on the list, drag the .dmg file to the left hand column of Disk Utility, pop in a new CD and hit the 'Burn' button.

Apple Hardware Test Images

You will be able to boot from the CD by holding down 'C' immediatelly after the chimes when you restart the machine.

The Apple Leopard DVD does have Disk Utility installed, however. Boot from the disk, again holding down 'C', go to Utilities in the Menu Bar, select Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. You can then format Mac OS Extended Journalled, partition the drive even if using one partition, and proceed with the Leopard install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.